1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Maths Interview- Lesson Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vrhc, Nov 16, 2015.

1. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

Hi,

I have been shortlisted for a Year 2 Teacher interview, The children have been learning about place value, addition and subtraction and I have been asked for the focus of my lesson to be on using and applying this knowledge.

I've got so many ideas running through my head but would love to hear some advice on how I could approach this, I'm thinking of looking at either patterns in calculations, checking calculations or missing numbers.

I want to make it very practical (group work, partner work, individual?!) and scared of falling into the trap of sat on the carpet and go off and complete work.
    The children are also a widespread of ability so I'm thinking do I do an acitivity using 1-digit numbers up to 10 for LA, 1 2-digit number and a 1 1-digit number up to 20 for MA (or I could just add 10's) and one 2-digit number and 1 1-digit number up to 50 for higher ability (or I could do 2 2-digit numbers?).

Sorry if it sounds confusing I've just found out and wondering which way to approach it.

Thank you!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Well done for getting shortlisted!

I would suggest a Low threshold, High ceiling Nrich task that enables all children to engage with the same task but has potential to challenge all appropriately. Keeps it simple when you don't know the children so well.

Good luck!

hlou14 likes this.
  3. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

How about something involving real life numbers e.g. writng cheques
    for amounts of money, attendance at football matches etc?

hlou14 likes this.
  4. sallylou

sallylou New commenter

I would suggest a problem with multiple answers eg
    Frank and jo play football.
    Between them they score 15 goals.
    How many goals could each of them have scored?
    Try to work systematically.

For highers instead of giving a higher number, say three/four children are playing.
    Give the children little cut out football's to help them work out the answers.
    Low ability could draw answers and then turn into a written calculation.

I love teaching lessons like this!

helen67 and hlou14 like this.
  5. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

These are wonderful ideas, thank you so much!