1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 maths based on an 'object' - help please!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Vikki27, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've been asked to prepare a 20min maths session for interview based on an 'object' of my choice. I'm completely stuck and would love some ideas. So far all I've come up with is dice (a bit dull), a box of Weetabix (not helpful that they come in 12s and 24s and not sure what to do with them) or money (would that be an 'object'). Confused.
    Any help would be appreciated. It's to a mixed year 1/2 class.
    Thankyou in advance,
    Vikki

2. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

It seems they have left this wide open to interpretation but what about a pyramid - 3D shapes, nets, symmetry etc? Or a watch/clock? You could use a packet or tin and look at weight. A book? Have a look at the curriculum for excellence guidelines and find something to fit and that you would be happy and comfortable doing.

3. If you count a picture as an object (which I reckon you good if you put it in a frame and brought it in!) I have done some really nice imagination work in maths based on Escher's tessellation pictures- Look at them and discus them and then give children tessellating paper shapes with lines eyes etc drawn on them to make them look like animals and get them to make their own pictures.

The other thing that you could do is bring in something like a treasure chest with different coloured "jewels" in ie plastic or laminated paper and do a pirate theme where you do finding all possibilities with the different colours.

I'd try and think outside the boxx here rather than using normal classroom items like a clock or money They want to see what you can think of!