1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Maths argh!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Feb 19, 2012.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I teach a "top" set for Numeracy in Year 2 and was wondering how other teachers balance time and pace within a lesson. The problem I have is that, like a lot of Y2 teachers, I need to move children into level 3. What I'm finding is that I'm having to teach half the class the level 2 curriculum, send them off and then keep the rest on the carpet to teach a level 3 objective. I feel like I'm wasting the level 3 childrens' time but can't see a way round it as I only receive support for one lesson a week. Does anyone have any good ideas as to what I can do? It's so frustrating as the level 3 children get a shorter amount of time to complete their tasks as they've had to sit through the first part of the lesson.
    Thanks!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would usually teach the whole class the level 3 objectives and then give differentiated individual tasks, if I had to have whole class input.

Or alternate with the TA, she 'teaches' the level 2 and you the 3 one day and you swap the next day/week.

Or teach a concept and allow the level 3 children to extend it themselves. Partitioning numbers springs to mind.

I have children from level 1 to 3 in my class. We tend to teach in groups and have independent group working. Only the starter and plenary on the carpet.

3. Why not just teach them numeracy instead of worrying about levels?
    Why make things so black and white and stick to levels?
    Teaching a range of skills with some differentiation will benefit the kids far more than chasing gold stars and ticking boxes.
    Topics are not taught by level per se. The complexity of the task you set determines the level the pupils are working at. Simply alter the delivery rather than trying to pigeon hole things.
    If your SLT don't like it, find a school where they have maths teachers on the SLT.