1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 - little understanding???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by L10, Feb 24, 2011.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

Hi all,
    Hope everyone is having a good half term. I've had a year 2 on my mind lately and not quite sure where to go with her, hopefully you can help. The child in question can read almost anything put in front of her, but if she is asked about it, e.g. why do you think that.... etc she has no clue! I was advised to move her back a few levels to focus on this more, which I have done but she is still struggling.
    In her writing, spelling is almost perfect but she seems unable to write to task, e.g. before half temr we were writing a poem about a shopping list for a dragon, but she described what the dragon might like and it was very jumbled up and repetitive. This happens reguarly.
    In Numeracy one day she might not have a clue what we are lerning about, so the follwoing day we'll revisit it and she has an excellent understanding!

Hope someone can advise, thanks.

2. L10

L10 New commenter

Hi all,
    Hope everyone is having a good half term. I've had a year 2 on my mind lately and not quite sure where to go with her, hopefully you can help. The child in question can read almost anything put in front of her, but if she is asked about it, e.g. why do you think that.... etc she has no clue! I was advised to move her back a few levels to focus on this more, which I have done but she is still struggling.
    In her writing, spelling is almost perfect but she seems unable to write to task, e.g. before half temr we were writing a poem about a shopping list for a dragon, but she described what the dragon might like and it was very jumbled up and repetitive. This happens reguarly.
    In Numeracy one day she might not have a clue what we are lerning about, so the follwoing day we'll revisit it and she has an excellent understanding!

Hope someone can advise, thanks.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Doesn't sound as though she has a problem with numeracy to me if she understands it on a revisit the next day.
    If you give her a page to read (of a book she definitely enjoys) with the task of finding out the answer to an interesting question - and you give her the question before she reads the page, can she do this?
    Have you tried age appropriate comprehension exercises graded in difficulty that would appeal to her, and which only require short written answers?
    The shopping list for a dragon question requires a lot of decisions to be made, and maybe some experience of shopping that she might not have? Does she have difficulty making decisions?
    What other pieces of writing end up jumbled? What sort of writing does not end up jumbled? Does she find writing laborious? What happens if she dictates a story into a tape recorder, does that have no sensible sequence either?

4. L10

L10 New commenter

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    She could probably do that with the book for straight forward quesitons such as what is xx wearing etc. When she is required to 'think outside the box' e.g. why do you think they are xxxx, this is where she struggles.I will certainly try that next week though, it would be interesting to see how she copes.
    In regard to the poem, we did a lot of work on this beforehand; she just doesn't seem to understand that we write for different purposes. I found the same when they wrote instructions, she just described. If she is asked to write a simple sentence, she can now do so without it being jumbled. Anything longer and she cannot cope with it. I've just looked in her independent writing book and it is all the same comments - could not stick to task.
    I will try getting her to dictate into a tape recorder and see how she gets on.
    I'm at a bit of a loss, not sure where to go with her. Thanks for the advice given so far, I will try these next week and see how we get on!

5. Maybe there is a specific reason for her 'behaviour'. I have a child in my Y1 class who is a fantastic reader (top of the class) but as for his writing (bottom of class), he cannot form any words at all and I have to ask him to read it to me so I know what he has written. He is also very imaginative when it comes to ideas but when you ask him to explain them, he often gets muddled up and struggles. He has dyspraxia.

6. L10

L10 New commenter

She sounds similar to your Y1, other than the fact that she has little imagination. I'll look into that, thanks.

7. I have a child with autism in my class who also sounds similar. He can read and write anything but often cannot answer questions beyond the literal or write for a specific purpose. He is Year 1. We have tried lots of emotion work, asking him why the person is doing something, feeling that way etc. This has helped with his reading, he now has some understanding of why somebody might have done something or how they feel. He cannot predict what might happen next though...well, he hasn't read the next bit, how would he know (is the answer)?! Writing is more difficult, although perhaps a list for a dragon is too abstract. Can she write recounts it very simple instructions for a well rehearsed routine? The little boy in my class coped well writing simple instructions for the reception children to use a beebot (ict is his thing).

8. **was meant to say or very simple instructions - predictive text on phone! Sorry!

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I was going to suggest autism too. Only slight tendencies in some areas by the sound of it. What's she like socially?
    I had a similar child who was very disruptive and who had poor understanding across the board. Worse still, the parents refused to let us get any help for him!!
    Good luck

10. L10

L10 New commenter

Thanks again for your replies, she seems fine socially, she's popular and mixes well.
    Thanks for your thoughts.