1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Literacy Research

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by eddiecarron, Jul 8, 2012.

1. I am a retired headteacher turned researcher in literacy. I believe that children who are failing to respond appropriately to a sound phonics programme can be readily identified and their difficulty resolved in the first term of Year 2 with an appropriate intervention which renders the phonics exercises more accessible and therefore more productive.
    I am looking for Year 2 teachers who would be willing to participate in a second phase project which tests the hypothesis that failure to acquire literacy skills can be prevented in one term. The project runs from Sept to Xmas and involves only the identified children for a few minutes each day.
    The pilot project outcomes are summarised by one year 2 teacher as follows:'If this programme had been available at the beginning of September, I have no doubt that the situation we faced at the end of Autumn with so many non-readers would not have occurred; after only half of a term, 4 of the 6 participants are secure 1c, with the other 2 not far behind, and all of them have grown immensely in terms of willingness to read and independence.'

Eddie, having ended 2011 with these children working towards level 1, hating reading and being completely reliant on adults for reading, the change I have seen in their attitude to reading as well as their independence and ability to recognise key words has been amazing

If this is something that might interest you, email me at eddiecarron@btconnect.com for further details. There are no costs involved and we require no test or other personal data.

2. I am a retired headteacher turned researcher in literacy. I believe that children who are failing to respond appropriately to a sound phonics programme can be readily identified and their difficulty resolved in the first term of Year 2 with an appropriate intervention which renders the phonics exercises more accessible and therefore more productive.
    I am looking for Year 2 teachers who would be willing to participate in a second phase project which tests the hypothesis that failure to acquire literacy skills can be prevented in one term. The project runs from Sept to Xmas and involves only the identified children for a few minutes each day.
    The pilot project outcomes are summarised by one year 2 teacher as follows:'If this programme had been available at the beginning of September, I have no doubt that the situation we faced at the end of Autumn with so many non-readers would not have occurred; after only half of a term, 4 of the 6 participants are secure 1c, with the other 2 not far behind, and all of them have grown immensely in terms of willingness to read and independence.'

Eddie, having ended 2011 with these children working towards level 1, hating reading and being completely reliant on adults for reading, the change I have seen in their attitude to reading as well as their independence and ability to recognise key words has been amazing

If this is something that might interest you, email me at eddiecarron@btconnect.com for further details. There are no costs involved and we require no test or other personal data.