1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 initial assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seebee, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Anyone think of a Maths challenge to help me assess my new year 2s without frightening them off? I do use the Mathematical challenges during the year but would like something different to start off with.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you want one maths challenge that hits all areas of learning? Seriously?

I am thinking about my first maths topic and how to assess them in that area in the first lesson. Then going from there. Lots of mini assessments during the term as we start new topics.

3. No - just something that gives me an idea of their confidence level and basic adding subtracting stuff. I usually work with each group on normal everyday topics but I really like using open-ended tasks and wondered if anyone had any different ideas. Might do the one with the different priced stamps and find ways to make a total to send a parcel.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

The only thing that I can think of that you would gain from doing a 'challenge' is that you would see their approach to learning. Personally i'd rather just go straight into the framework. I think the first unit is on adding / subtracting anyway so why not just do a quick 10 minute mental / oral assessment on whiteboards, get your TA to note down pupils who are quick / those who are struggling, then done and straight on with teaching and learning! :)

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/BMFreebies/BMBT%20CLIC%20Tests.zip
    Each test has 10 questions starting at level 1(and they are free)
    They give you a good idea which areas of number work children are unsure of and which they are secure with.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Love the look of those 'tests' and how short they are. Be great for a practice one a week. Thanks Msz.

7. Msz

I use them once a week. Everyone starts on level 1 if they get 10/10 3 times in a row they move onto the next level (they are accurate to NC levels for the calculation part and there is a free tracking programme to make pretty graphs of progress and to identify where there are gaps in knowledge)
    http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/BMFreebies/ClicTestTracker.zipI also use the Learn It tests once a week 40 addition and multiplication calculations to complete in 90 seconds - with the target of improving your own score each week
    http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/BMFreebies/BMBT%20Learn%20Its%20Tests.zip

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But don't you have year 2? You start everyone (even the most able) on level one and they have to get 10/10 or whatever three times in a row to move on? Can you not just start them from where they are when they arrive? So if already a 2a then they start on a level 3 test? I'm thinking of those higher up the school (having just moved down from year 6 and so knowing the issues) who might want to start on level 4 or 5...assuming the level on the tests is a NC level.

9. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I used the learnits with my Year 4 - top set after doing a Big Maths Course. It was amazing how many of the children did not have instant recall to start with. It took them 3 / 4 weeks to get into the hang of the tests.

10. Msz

I found that with my Y2s. The first week I had lots of zeros and I thought it might put some children off but they loved doing it and by week 8 I had my first 40/40.

11. Msz

If you are confident about levels I don't see any reason not to begin where they are (if they are a 2a do a level 2 test to start not a level 3 ) I started at level 1 to introduce the idea of the type of test and did a test a day for the first week at which point everyone was on the correct level. If you check the download you will find each question is linked to the appropriate NC level APP statement
    So on level 2 test question 1 is always Numbers and the number system:•begin to understand the place value of each digit-know the relative size of numbers to 100
    and question 6 is Solving numerical problems:-add two-digit and one digit numbers, bridging tens where necessary

12. I really like the look of these as a regular thing - but aren't they a lot of photocopying for a quick test? We're supposed to do as much in a book as possible. Wonder if you could reduce the size or something.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That makes sense...might do the same as it happens!
    I'd would think you could reduce it to A5 and double side them. So you would get 4 weeks from a single sheet...

14. Thanks for the links. The Big maths tests do look good. Am just wondering though - do you need a teacher handbook or something as there are some blanks spaces on the tests which I guess are for the teacher to read aloud? Or are the questions already in that pack somewhere and I missed them? Will read through again but hoped you might know the answer! Thanks.

15. Msz

On the level 1 test the child has to write a single digit number in the blank star if you look at the answer pages you can find what the number is for each test. All the other questions are on the children's test sheets

16. Aha! Thank you so much for your speedy reply![​IMG]

17. Hi, do you have a copy of theses tests? pls as they seem to have been removed from the website?

18. Msz - I have just looked for that test and cannot access it. Could you e-mail it to me or put it on the resources section on TES?

19. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Seebee, for what purpose do you want your assessment at the beginning of term? What will you use the results for?
    As a parent I find that teacher assessment can be a bit of a minefield in primary maths - particularly at KS1 where it is so dependent on other factors as well as pure mathematical ability (e.g. reading the question, writing the answer, manipulating objects, concentrating when you are still missing Mum etc) . Depending on how it is used it can be great, or disastrous. If the assessment is wrong, in either direction, and it misinforms the work you then give that child to do, it's not great.
    e.g. as a personal example I have a child who was assessed as 4c at end of year 3 but I was being told during year 2 that she was struggling in the above average group and was moved down, and I was told she certainly wouldn't make level 3 at KS1 or level 5 at KS2 as she was a slow plodder and was not quick to grasp new concepts. I think a lot of this was based on the teacher producing something or other at the start of year 2 which my DD did not shine in as her assessment at the end of year 1 was well above average.
    So then she was dropped down a group and given fiddly counters to work everything out with, and much simpler stuff than she could already do for a very long time - so that didn't help much either! I started to think that maybe she was pretty dumb at maths too but it was contrary to my gut instinct and knowledge as a parent ....... so I paid for some standardised testing which was useful as it showed me she was extremely able in maths and meant I kept on expecting a lot ..... trouble is you see that an incorrect school assessment can make parents expect very little in the future too and then the child is done for unless they are the "I'm going to prove them wrong type" which is unusual at age 6 or so.
    Maths is such a broad topic, even at KS1. I don't see how you can judge children on one or two problem solving exercises at that age, or even a well produced classroom-based standardised test, particularly if it is written. For example, another thing my child was given at the start of year 2 were written questions where she had to solve as many easy additions and subtractions as she could in a minute and write the answers down. She didn't do many in a minute so she stayed on the very simple ones for a long time.
    Or a child could be poor at instant recall of arithmetic facts (which the learnits that Msz systematically teaches will resolve) but great at the concepts of addition and subtraction and place value, terrible at telling the time on a clockface but great at working out whether something has rotational symmetry or not etc etc.
    Don't you just need to know where they are at in all these little sub-units of KS1 maths and move on from there?
    It's hard in a big class. One to one is luxurious as you can find what a child really can / can't do, understand / not understand. When my DD was so slow with what she could do in one minute at school I did an experiment at home - I looked at how many numbers she could copy down in a minute and it was not many. A significant reason for the small number of sums she could complete in a minute was her speed at writing numerals. And she got in more and more of flap about it at school as she was aware there were others around her answering so many more. She became allergic to anything to do with a timer and if we were sent a speed challenge as homework from time to time she'd run away when it came out of the schoolbag! She frequently told me she hated numeracy and she really could not understand why some children liked it. I was very surprised to hear a 6 year old with such a strong opinion about a school subject.
    Sorry OP I've rambled on, but I have to say I hate the first few weeks of term which I always feel is teachers who don't know my child trying to make glib judgements and starting from scratch all over again. Why send the exercise books home before the summer to parents? Why not give them to the next teacher?
    Sorry I know it's difficult, and I am a teacher too, and I'm probably worrying for nothing, but pelase don't set too much store on these beginning of term pieces of work with children who are still dreaming about 6 weeks of freedom, finding their shirt collars stiff and their school shoes uncomfortable, missing their Mum and their old teacher, and who are probably chronically sleep-deprived and short of breakfast because their bodyclocks are still on school holiday time.

20. Thanks Msz. I have the Big Maths tests on my memory stick but forgot about them!! I have posted already about what to use to assess Year 1 so I am going to suggest we use these.