1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Pink Princess, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I am already beginning to think about september when i will be moving into year 2 for the first time (and not sure what to expect)
    I would like to teach some topics that the children will actually be interested in - have so far thought of space and knights and castles. Does anyone have any other ideas that they have used that the children have responded to well?
    Also what sort of resources will i need to have in the classroom?
    I am moving from foundation to year 2 so can i take the good practice with me - can i have a role play area, writing table etc and get away with it? Year 2 seems so formal and not at all what i am used to teaching. How do people out there organise their day for year 2 especially in the early days of september?
    In my opinion they are only 6 and therefore still young so i think they still need to be able to play?!?
    I may have totally the wrong end of the stick and may be having a slight meltdown for no reason (i really am hoping so!!)
    Thank you.

2. I am already beginning to think about september when i will be moving into year 2 for the first time (and not sure what to expect)
    I would like to teach some topics that the children will actually be interested in - have so far thought of space and knights and castles. Does anyone have any other ideas that they have used that the children have responded to well?
    Also what sort of resources will i need to have in the classroom?
    I am moving from foundation to year 2 so can i take the good practice with me - can i have a role play area, writing table etc and get away with it? Year 2 seems so formal and not at all what i am used to teaching. How do people out there organise their day for year 2 especially in the early days of september?
    In my opinion they are only 6 and therefore still young so i think they still need to be able to play?!?
    I may have totally the wrong end of the stick and may be having a slight meltdown for no reason (i really am hoping so!!)
    Thank you.

3. A lot of your questions will depend on school policy. In our school we are very formal in year 2 and get going straight away in september to ensure the children make their expected 3 sub levels progress. A typical day consists of guided reading, followed by literacy then numeracy. The afternoon starts with phonics and then on to CLJ (topic) work.
    Check with your year 1 teachers which topics they do. Both that you have mentioned are ones that are done in year 1 in many schools.

4. I have already spoken to the year one teachers and we have agreed to work on topics together next year so that we have a whole key stage approach. They haven't covered these so far - we are looking to go to a rolling programme - hopefully!

5. Hi
    I am in Year 2 and we have a role play area and tuff spot which is linked to the theme we are doing. This works well. We have found since we have moved to the Creative Curriculum our timetable is so much more freed up, as our literacy is our history or geog and our music/dt/art is also our theme so there is more space to be more creative. We are getting good progress and finds it works well and allows children to take more of a lead on what areas of a theme we cover. We work together as a Key stage to agree what to cover etc to ensure all areas of the NC are covered. We basically started again from scratch divving up the NC objectives depending on where they fitted best. We also did a couple of whole school themes and a whole key stage theme which worked well.
    Our most popular theme has been Space Quest where we focussed on the history of space travel and the moon landings in particular, looking at Neil Armstrong etc (history lead). They did some fab music for mood by composing music for Star Wars, did some great space poetry, non fiction writing, ict research, space wax resist pictures, space dance and drama etc. We were overwhelmed with the amount of things the children brought in to support this theme and we ended up with a great space library for the children to use for research. We tend to plan from our lead subject for whatever theme and work out from that. Geog/history, art/dt and re/music tend to swap in an out, allowing for lots of space for them to really focus on the theme.
    We are lucky in that as long as the results are there and we are covering the objectives we can set things up as we wish, which includes moving away from the framework (mostly for literacy) and make things more relevant for them. The children are more engaged and motivated by this more joined up approach.
    Our other particularly popular themes have been
    Reduce, Reuse Recycle (whole KS1 theme science - lead)
    Weird, Wacky and Wonderful (lead - art Hundertwasser)
    Heroes (history lead)
    Hope this helps.

6. Thank you everyone
    I was also thinking of having antarctica topic and linking it to the lost and found film.
    Its also good to know that so many of you enjoy teaching year 2 and that it seems to be a really enjoyable year - i think i have had my mind set on what i want to do for so long and now its changing im finding it hard to adapt.
    Still i will get on with it and do the best i can for the children in my class!

7. It is a very enjoyable year but can also be incredibly tough/demanding.
    We have a lot of pressure in our LA to achieve certain results in the end of key stage tests and in our teacher assessment levels. Make sure you keep lots of evidence throughout the year in case you get the moderation letter halfway through!

8. Thank you will make sure i keep everything - im sure it will be fine just going into something new - new role and responsibilities and a new teacher to work with to add to it. Think i would have been much happier had i been working with an experienced teacher!