1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Grammar and Punctuation Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cactusstorm, Aug 25, 2016.

1. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

I'm starting my NQT year in a Year 2 class and I need help with making grammar interesting. They'll be covering the basics such as capital letters and full stops, apostrophes, question marks and exclamation marks; as well as types of sentences. Usually I'd go with pictures, books and videos but how do I make the actual explanations interesting? On practice it would a brief lecture then general practise on the carpet before going onto an activity but I don't know if that will keep their attention for long enough. What could I do that would engage all/most of the children?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

TES have an interactive program which is good for practice.
    http://www.tesspag.com/

Twinkle have some plans and resources. I don't often recommend their lessons, but the grammar ones are ok and will give you a starting point.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I think a lot in teaching depends upon how enthusiastic and engaged the teacher is when he/she is teaching. Children pick up on things very quickly, and if you are not animated or interested in what you are teaching, then the children won't be, either. Be imaginative and create activities with variety which contain the teaching points you know the children need. Young children are usually very open to and excited by many learning opportunities - they won't have preconceived notions about grammar being boring - and it certainly doesn't need to be if you teach it with enthusiasm and imagination! Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter