1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 extended stories: George's marvellous medicine

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Im just wondering if anyone has any planning or ideas for using George's marvellous medicine with year 2 for extended stories. Our topic will b Roald Dahl and we'll be doing keeping healthy and medicines in science/pshce so it fits in really well. Just struggling to think of what they'll do for their independent writing

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Im just wondering if anyone has any planning or ideas for using George's marvellous medicine with year 2 for extended stories. Our topic will b Roald Dahl and we'll be doing keeping healthy and medicines in science/pshce so it fits in really well. Just struggling to think of what they'll do for their independent writing

3. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

It depends on what the needs of the class are: i.e. what are the learning objectives/writing targets?
    I think this is where you need to start, then think about how you can use this book.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I would prefer to use another book for year 2 The Giraffe Pelly and Me, The Magic Finger, Esio Trot or the Twits but as you want to link it with Keeping Healthy and medecines in Science, can see why you'd want to use it.
    So, by independent writing, do you mean an end of topic piece of writing or what to do in literacy?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

GMM is my favourite Roald Dahl book...But I've not used it in school.

They could definitely write recipes.

Maybe imaginative writing about what they can see when they have drunk the potion making them as tall as houses.

Or what they would do if they had shrunk to the size of a pin (or however small it is).

Maybe a newspaper report when a man/woman/child was spotted as taller than the houses.

Remember in year 2 they really have learn to write good sentences more than text types...