1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 - Do you teach phonics every day?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WelshKatie, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I am trying to sort out my timetable for next term and am having to shuffle a lot of things around because our assembly timetable has changed.

Do you teach phonics every day in year 2?
    I am thinking about teaching it 3 days a week but having one extended session.

My low attainers have a session every day as an intervention so they would still have this.

2. I am trying to sort out my timetable for next term and am having to shuffle a lot of things around because our assembly timetable has changed.

Do you teach phonics every day in year 2?
    I am thinking about teaching it 3 days a week but having one extended session.

My low attainers have a session every day as an intervention so they would still have this.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I teach phonics everyday to my Y2 class and have a group who come in before school 3 mornings for extra input.

4. Phonics every day for the whole class and booster groups during assemblies.

5. Thank you. Is there anyone who doesn't teach it every day? What are your thoughts on whether this could work
    I could have 4 normal sessions instead (this is what I have been doing up until now). Although I would still be teaching phonics for the same amount of time either way.

6. I don't teach phonics everyday in year 2, although they do in year R and 1. We have a high attaining group - more than half will achieve level 3 and at least 8 children are there already in reading. We do a discrete 10 minute session everyday, however, which includes a phonics session as well as handwriting, spelling (into which phonics does come of course) and 2 vocabulary/sentence structure sessions to focus on raising achievement in writing.

7. Thank you.
    I want to do handwriting on a monday so that I can then use this as a guided reading activity for the remainder of the week. I can link this with phonics, have an extended phonics session on a Tuesday and then a normal (15-20 mins) length session on Wednesday and Thursday.

If anything the children will get more phonics teaching, as before the holidays it seemed to be the lesson that kept being cut short by a few minutes due to other lessons/playtimes.

8. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

4 times a week because I can't fit it in on ppa day.
    The kids are coming on fine.

9. No, Year 2 and we do it four days a week. When you consider the additional guided reading carousel activities four days a week, two handwriting sessions per week in addition to the discrete phonics sessions and on top of the literacy lessons I feel they do a huge amount of literacy all told.