1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 dance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Sep 14, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I haven't a clue where to start...schools plans are non-existent. I've never taught this topic before and so am totally lost.

Not much about that I can find either.

So anyone got any ideas please?

Other than 'abandon dance and teach something you know about' all advice very gratefully received!

Thank you.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I haven't a clue where to start...schools plans are non-existent. I've never taught this topic before and so am totally lost.

Not much about that I can find either.

So anyone got any ideas please?

Other than 'abandon dance and teach something you know about' all advice very gratefully received!

Thank you.

3. Give me till the weekend and I'll see if I can drum something up - in school we use a scheme but I don't really like it but somewhere I have an illicit copy of another authorities planning - I'll have a look and see what I can do.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You star!

A 'not very good' scheme would still be better as a starting point than the nothing I have at the moment.

Thank you so much.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

here are a couple of sites you might take a look at
    http://web.mac.com/jackiecharlton2/iWeb/Site/Dance%20Year%202/Dance%20Year%202.html
    http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/dance/ks1_2/resources/index.shtml
    http://schools.norfolk.gov.uk/index.cfm?s=1&m=1942&p=493,index
    anything by Val Sabin is generally good.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have looked at the year 3 one from Norfolk, the numeracy and dance one and think it might work with a bit of adapting. It is the best we have so far, but need to check year 3 don't do it already!

The Val Sabin might be good but you have to contact them to get any idea of prices for the schemes which leads me to believe it might be more than we have any intention of paying. We looked at the website and then rejected it as have no clue about cost.

I looked at the teaching resources one, but it requires certain tracks on certain CDs which is of no use at all.

But hey good to see the sites we investigated are the ones everyone else uses and we haven't just been daft.

7. I'm planning on using this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolradio/subjects/dance

New schedule starts on 20th September I believe but you can download some of the previous broadcasts for use whenever you fancy it.

8. What's your topic this half term minnieminx?

9. Minnie, what theme are you doing? I tend to write my own based around whatever creative curriculum theme we are doing which seems to work well. I have one on space and one on Island Detectives where we looked at the Isle of Coll. I tend to get a feel for some music by trawling Spotify and then take it from there. There is a good book (it is at school) called something like zoodio (not that, but similar) which has some good starting points for ideas. I'll look it up tomorrow. I put up the obvious warm up and a cool down and then focus on one element for the LO, like changing speed and direction, or linking moves, or creating a pattern etc. By linking to the theme the children are already engaged and I can also link it to a bit of drama. They love watching each other and having a go.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW!!! I could do that for year 5 or 6 as I've taught them for years. But for year 2 I have no idea at all, am clueless as to what they can do and what they should be able to do.

Love the idea of linking to topic, ours is the Great Fire of London, so probably plenty of opportunity for flame based moving to music, but ....Errrr!

They got the idea of number of steps and moving in varying directions today, but it was more walk/jump/run than dance if I'm honest.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That looks pretty good...I'm going to investigate a little more.

12. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

We use this one too- kids love it - so I love it!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The bbc one?

14. I teach Y2. We use Val Sabin throughout the school- it comes with the CDs . it's brilliant . In addition in the summer term we do country and maypole dancing. Old fashioned but FUN.

15. Minnie
    I like searching for songs, so don't mind planning from scratch, but horses for courses. I use tracks from
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002GQZ68C/ref=dm_sp_alb
    for my warm ups as they are funky and the children love tracks like Slow *** Joe which gets them focussed on moving at different speeds. I like them too. I also use Cds by Johnette Downing a lot as she has a great Dixieland Jazz Cd for children and a Wild and Woolly CD which can link to lots of themes.
    For the Fire of London the children could explore being flames that grow, gather etc, or they could explore the movement of the people in the fire as the panic spreads. You could use tracks like Popcorn which are great for them to move quickly to. I tend to use a mixture of classical and pop. The good thing is that they aren't inhibited at Year 2, so often fling themselves into it.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Singup...you are actually getting me a excited about this dance thing, rather than utterly panicked.

With a bit of effort I reckon I could do exactly that with the GFL. Searching for music is no hardship for me either... Slow moves for the flames and faster for the people panicking, stretching with the wind and real stillness of Samuel Pepys writing his diary. Kind of a play though dance and music.

Maybe I should stop having a worry and get on with it.

They are learning 'London Bridge is falling down' in music and linking it to materials (science topic) to could use that as well...

Must get some LOs from somewhere...NC would probably be the place! Duh!

17. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Yes we use the bbc podcasts - BUT i am very excited with the great fire of london ideas and love the popcorn music so might even take the brave step!!

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I will if you will!!

19. Sounds fab Minnie. I love doing dance because with Year 2 it isn't complex and you can really mix up the dance and drama. For the LOs it is really changing speed and direction, linking moves, using their imagination and expressing feelings, doing basic moves like jumping, turning etc, creating patterns and then watching each other and evaluating, so lots of freedom to do whatever you fancy! Let us know how you get on.

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now why was I worrying...that doesn't sound toooo hard!

Sooo there is my Saturday sorted, plan dance!