1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Creative Writing Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missp87, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:18 PM.

1. missp87

missp87 New commenter

I have an interview with a Year 2 class coming up. I've been told to plan for an hour so they can see where the lesson would go but to teach 30 minutes where the children have started writing by the end of the session.

I don't know if I'm overthinking it, if I'm super tired or if it's just the panic settling in but I'm suddenly questioning what is considered creative writing. Does it have to be a story or can it be a setting/character description or a poem?

I was originally going to get them to re-write the magic box poem by Kit Wright by thinking of what they would put in a magic box but now I'm thinking if that's what the school are looking for.

My other idea was just showing them a fancy box I have and telling them I found it in the woods and that nothing was in it and that the next time I looked there was something like a note or photo inside. They could then brainstorm some ideas about where the box came from and who it belongs to and write some kind of narrative.

Any helpful advice or ideas people could give to point me in the right direction?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Creative writing - generally defined as writing that is imaginative, created, productive and original. This generally covers all areas of fiction, such as novels, short stories, poetry etc. but can also include non-fiction, such as feature articles for magazines.
    So it seems you are preparing a full hour lesson, but just being asked to deliver the intro/ starter /impetus for the writing and then get them started- presumably for the class teacher to then carry on?

3. missp87

missp87 New commenter

Hi Lara,

Thanks for responding. You are correct; I'm preparing an hour but just teaching the first 30 minutes.

I've decided I am going to do poetry but not introduce a text. I'm just going to use a 'magic box' as a stimulus and let them think of things they would want to put in there and do in there. I feel like the sentences they will come up with will be creative.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wishing you luck.