1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 Children and story writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smallschool, Apr 29, 2012.

1. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

I use the Pie Corbett Storytelling technique where the children make up the parts of a story with me as a class, we print up picturesand we add actions to help us remember it. We retell it every day . Then I ask them to change something about the story and tell it to a group (the setting the main character the problem etc. I then use small world play as an ideal place for consolidating the changed stories. So over a 2 week period we " make the story, learn and practise the story, change the story, play the changed story, draw the paragraph/sections or storyboard, write the story". Its alot of input time, and each lesson would focus on one aspect, like describing the setting/action words/puctuation etc, but the resulting stories are so much better than they were able to write before, so its worth the effort.