1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 character profile?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Msz, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A 'role on the wall' is usually just an outline of a person with information written on it - either inside the outline, or round the edge. It represe
    nts the character you're exploring.
    [​IMG]

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhhhhh. Hoped it would be something we already do with a posh name I can write on my planning, and it is.

I often do physical characteristics on the outside and feelings/motivations/personality inside. Is that the sort of thing?

If you do these on A3 paper in groups, you can then copy them (reduced to A4 or A5) and use them as word mats to help when children then write the prose type description.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

What about thought tracking the character through the story? How would he feel, what would he be doing?, what position would he be in?
    Write a diary from the characters perspective?
    Character pockets/bags - what do you think the boy would have in his pocket or bag? Why?
    Hot seat? Freeze frame?
    Which parts of the story do you think the character would want to remember? Why?
    If you were going to give the boy a gift what would it be? Why?

4. We write what they KNOW about the character based on the text or illustrations inside the picture (what they look like, their behaviour they show, their feelings shown by their actions etc) and then write questions round the outside which we'd like to ask the character to clarify anything or find out something new.
    Works well, particularly the questions when the obvious things small children tend to ask (Do you like tomato ketchup?) can be discussed as not particularly relevant in favour of more deep thinking issues (Why did you say nasty things to Cinderella?).

5. Thanks all. Lovely ideas.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That's a good idea...going to try that next term.