1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 2 - capacity - help needed pleeeeez!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bonnnie, May 13, 2007.

1. bonnnie

bonnnie New commenter

have to teach capacity this week - am reaaaaallly stuck for ideas - doesnt help that no water supply in my classroom and resources are limited. think I'm having a mental block - or it cud be the wine???!!!

2. bonnnie

bonnnie New commenter

have to teach capacity this week - am reaaaaallly stuck for ideas - doesnt help that no water supply in my classroom and resources are limited. think I'm having a mental block - or it cud be the wine???!!!

3. Can you bring a water tray in? If not look in science resources they should have fish tank/large boxes you could fill with water and have in the middle of the table.

One activity i did was estimate and measure capacities (less, approx, more than a litre) I had six containers to do and six kids in each group so they took turns. Make sure you model could pouring and measuring skills or you may need a few mops at the end of the session!

4. bonnnie

bonnnie New commenter

thanks very much for the ideas bubblebabe. have a fish tank in class and could even use my teacher box. ur ideas have really helped.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

6. Sand? Rice? Borrow a water tray from nursery/reception? x

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

use sand?

8. Use rice instead of water.

9. Have you got an interactive whiteboard? The ITP's are good on the new framework plans, especially the cylinder

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primaryframeworks/mathem...

I put a big tub of water in the middle of each table and gave the children cards with different amounts to measure into jugs and cylinders.

10. hi, I did capacity today with Y1. we did use water yesterday, each table had a tray with water, various containers according to task. Messy, fair amount of water spilt, but they learned LOADS! Our theme is pirates, so I told them they were trying to find suitable containers for the cups, punch bowl etc for the pirate party! Today we looked at carrying loot back to the ship: non-standard units by counting the number of gold coins a container holds, and standard units by filling marked containers with gold dust (sand!). They loved it, the variety held their interest, and clearing up the sand was really really easy. Only one table got it everywhere, which they regretted when they had to get it sorted.
    I had all 5 groups do the investigations both days. No recording yesterday - couldn't picture it with water, but today they all managed, even the LA.

P.

11. bonnnie

bonnnie New commenter

thanks to everyone for all help - papadia - might even try putting bowls on each table and let all children have a go at same time - you have inspired me!!!i will just make sure i have lots of paper towels ready. probably postpone lesson until next week now as i have over run on my planning this week - as usual!!

12. go for it Bonnnie - it was great fun! I did learn one v useful thing: do the wet one just before lunch, so tables can be cleared comfortably, rather than at break-neck speed for the next lesson! we did use layers of newspaper, but even so, the tables needed considerable mopping. Not much on the floor, though.
    I really believe that doing is the key to learning at this age. I've seen lots of worksheets where children are to colour in full, half full, etc. Some look quite good fun, but don't cut it against the real thing!