1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 2 behaviour contract?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by janemac, Aug 17, 2013.

1. My new year 2 class has a particularly difficult child who caused havoc last year - trashing the classroom, hitting dinnerladies and other children and getting into stand-offs with staff in the playground. I need to have something in place before I start with him so he can see my expectations and the consequences of his actions. He enters and leaves school via the head's room and she has spent a lot of time with him building a relationship but my worry is that he sees her office as somewhere to get (positive) attention, so I was thinking I would try to talk him through a contract where he acknowledges what behaviour is deserving of a reward and what a sanction, and perhaps come up with some different sanctions. Does this sound like a good approach? Any ideas for immediate sanctions that work?

Thanks Jane

2. Unfortunately difficult children do not have sanctions that work straightaway. A consistent approach is what is best. The fact that the Headteacher has a positive bond with this child is positive! Talk to her to see what strategies she employs that works with him. Speak to parents and get them on board. You need to look at strategies that have been used by his previous teachers (did they work? not?) If they were unsuccessful they may work now. Relationships are key. What does he like? What does he enjoy? I always allow the first 2 days back as my observational days where he can weigh me up and I can weigh him up. Also it allows him the opportunity to change his behaviour. He may have decided that he wants to change his ways (we can hope!) and start a fresh and if you go in with a sticker chart and charter then this may cause outrage.

Good Luck

Feel free to join in #BehaviourChat on Twitter term times Monday 8.00-8.30pm and talk to like-minded teachers with behaviour expertise.

Follow me on Twitter @behaviourteach

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

The behaviour contract is a good idea, but it needs to be simple enough to be remembered at all times. Also, I wouldn't negotiate what the rules of the contract are, because that dangerously empowers a child when what they need to see are adult boundaries that reinforce adult authority. He's managed to manipulate things to serve his ends already- special attention from the head, and all because he misbehaves. What he needs to see is that misbehaviour will get him less of what he wants, not more.

The simplest sanction for one so young is to be separated from the oxygen of publicity, and be made to work away from the group in a predesignated zone. He should also miss breaks, and be made to do work (or close to it) when he is detained. It needs to be unpleasant enough to be a deterrent. What it mustn't be is reward time, lots of lovely attention and cuddles!

Good luck

Tom

@tombennett71