1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2 - A few questions!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Ive been in KS1 a while but there are always things I need to improve on, and if people wouldn't mind sharing any good practice with me that would be great! A few things that are bugging me at the moment. We have a very play based freeflow style FS and Y1 so this is the first year they are sitting down and all working on work related to the input at the same time.
    1) How do you manage them finishing and not all queueing up to show you?
    I have considered just asking them to put their work in a finished work tray, but SO many of them do not complete it to a satisfactory standard and I have to send so many off with a pointer or to ask them to improve, that I know they would just put their work in there regardless. But them all queueing up to see me is distracting me from my focus group. How much time/attention do you give to struggling children who are not in your focus group? (Often it is not because of poor differentiation, but because of a lack of listening/comprehending the task/ability to work independantly!)
    2) When they have finished their work, what do they do? Do you always have an extension task ready? Do they have certain activities they can explore? At the moment mine have access to a reading corner and scrap paper/pens etc. I am building up a supply of literacy and numeracy 'games' that they will have access too and am hoping this works. But it does mean noise goes up, and children are not necessarily doing something 'focussed' on the LO of the lesson.
    I may think of more things that have been niggling me over the holidays, but any suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated. I am more used to having Y1 in a freeflow environment so they are always engaged in an activity, so having higher ability Y2 is the first time i've had to consider the issues above!

2. Ive been in KS1 a while but there are always things I need to improve on, and if people wouldn't mind sharing any good practice with me that would be great! A few things that are bugging me at the moment. We have a very play based freeflow style FS and Y1 so this is the first year they are sitting down and all working on work related to the input at the same time.
    1) How do you manage them finishing and not all queueing up to show you?
    I have considered just asking them to put their work in a finished work tray, but SO many of them do not complete it to a satisfactory standard and I have to send so many off with a pointer or to ask them to improve, that I know they would just put their work in there regardless. But them all queueing up to see me is distracting me from my focus group. How much time/attention do you give to struggling children who are not in your focus group? (Often it is not because of poor differentiation, but because of a lack of listening/comprehending the task/ability to work independantly!)
    2) When they have finished their work, what do they do? Do you always have an extension task ready? Do they have certain activities they can explore? At the moment mine have access to a reading corner and scrap paper/pens etc. I am building up a supply of literacy and numeracy 'games' that they will have access too and am hoping this works. But it does mean noise goes up, and children are not necessarily doing something 'focussed' on the LO of the lesson.
    I may think of more things that have been niggling me over the holidays, but any suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated. I am more used to having Y1 in a freeflow environment so they are always engaged in an activity, so having higher ability Y2 is the first time i've had to consider the issues above!

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

The challenge cards are from **********... if you click it into the search box. They tend to be literacy based and things like "how many words that rhyme with.." etc.

I wish I could put my TA on hands up duty, sadly she's on intervention duty! lol.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why am I still shocked that people are supporting **********!!!
    [​IMG]

5. I have varied success with this, but I have a couple of strategies that seem to work quite well to avoid the queues. All the children have learning partners so can check anything with them, or with anyone else on their table. They can also check who are this weeks listening experts / spelling experts etc and ask them. If I start to get a queue I tend to stop the class and refer those children back to the Must, Should Could list and ask them where they are, this tends to see a few scurrying back, I then check they have pinked and greened their work and found one way to improve it, at this a few more scurry away and finally any still standing are asked to pair up and help each other to find one way to improve their work, or stay with me if they need help with something.
    When they are really finished they can choose an activity to do which is either the writing box, the Literacy challenge box (reading comps and activities, dictionary look up sheets etc) or play a maths board type game etc if maths.

6. Thanks for those ideas singup - I am currently building up trays of literacy and numeracy games and resources for them to use when they have finished.
    Do you not spend half your time telling them to go and check the success criteria, telling them to pair up etc? Thats my problem I think - the amount of time it actually takes up verbally telling them to go away and do things. But the hands up thing is working so far so good.

7. It can take a bit of time, but I think if you stick with a system it gets quicker and easier. Mine are eventually getting the idea (it is the same thing with not disturbing me when I am doing a guided reading group unless it is an emergency. They are finally getting the idea). Just keeping plugging away!

8. I have been teaching year 2 for a few years now and the good news is that I have mostly managed to overcome these problems! Firstly, in the first few weeks of the year I spend time 'training' the children as to what is acceptable behaviour when I am with a focus group. (4 rules - stay in your chair, don't talk, don't annoy your friends, do your work). We have some fun filled role play and 'trial runs' and I hand out lots of rewards etc until they are doing the right thing.
    Then, once they know what to do, I start real focus group work. Initially I try to do this at the same time every day so that they get into a routine. The children who are not in the FG are given a list of 'jobs' that they have to complete while I am busy (for rewards if they finish it all).The jobs are tasks that they can do on their own, such as handwriting practise, LCWC spelling words, trying to find small words in today's vocab word, easy maths sums for daily practise etc.Nothing that they need help with!! At the beginning of each term I compile a booklet of theme related
    extension activities and make a class set. Each child is given a copy of
    this booklet to keep in their desk. The booklets contain a variety of
    activities, easy ones and more challenging ones so that they can choose which ones
    they want to do.The children are taught that when they have finished all their 'jobs' they can work on their Fun Activity Book. (BTW I collect these booklets every now and then to keep an eye on their choices.)
    I do also have 'learning centres' dotted around the room with various ext activities but these are not introduced until I am sure that they can work responsibly and independently. I initially tend to use them as Fun Friday activities or for extending the more capable students.
    I hope these tips will help you. I have had great success with this in my own classroom.