1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2/3 - Moving up day - please help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Jun 23, 2007.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I am moving down to a Y2/3 class, after 3 years teaching Y4/5, so I am a little apprehensive.

In a couple of weeks we have our moving up day, and I am pleading for some tried and tested activities for this year group!!!! Many thanks

2. takethatno1fan

bump

**please help :(

3. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

Hi
    When I meet my new year 3 children I always do some simple circle time games; keeper of the keys, wink murder etc. Also heads down thumbs up is loved by year 3s. I also do a 'Getting to Know You' activity. A prepared sheet is given to them with a box for them to draw a picture of themselves and then a few sections for them to write about themselves ; favourite food, sport, brothers/sisters, that kind of thing. You could always differentiate something like this for LA year 2s and do pictures and labels.
    Not sure if this is the sort of thing you meant but good luck anyway!

4. takethatno1fan

Thanks sulkydame.

I have them all day - so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to do a simple writing activity - so I can assess them, and a simple maths activity. Ideas please!!

Thanks

5. sulkydame could you tell me about your circle time games? Will be having Y3 in Sept for first time.

thanks

6. bump!!!

7. HI there - One thing I plan to do this moving up day (with year4) is to give each child a bubble letter and ask them to decorate it with all thier 'talents'. They could be things they are good at in school but also things out of school such as drama, football, dancing etc. Once all the letters are decorated, coloured and complete they can be displayed on the wall as the following sentence:
    'WE ARE ALL TALENTED, TOGETHER WE ARE AWESOME'
    You have a ready made display for next year as each child achieves something they can display their rewards and certificated etc around the board.
    This display gives the children a sense of achievement and worth. They understand that everyone is different but together we combine our strengths to be even better! Cheesy i know - but the children love it!