1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 2/3/4 mixed class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CDuffy15, Aug 1, 2017.

1. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

Hello! I'm soon to be an RQT and my class is changing from 3/4 to 2/3/4. I have absolutely no idea where to start. Has anyone else experienced this mix? Does anybody have any suggestions about how to approach inputs and just general classroom management? TIA.

2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I have never heard of anyone having a 2/3/4/ class. May I ask why? Is it a very small school?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The difference in learning maturity between year 2 and 3 is tiny compared to between year 1 and 2, so a year 2/3/4 class will be fine in terms of managing the classroom. Several schools round here have a small R/1 class to give a great start to learning and a small 5/6 class to prepare for SATs, leaving a slightly larger, but still around 30 class of 2/3/4 in the middle. It seems to work well enough and saves splitting year groups to make 3 equal classes.

I would start the year with mixed year tables and ask the year 4 to show the year 2 and 3 what the expectations for layout of work, collecting equipment and so on are.

Other than that, I would mostly teach by attainment level rather than age if your school are happy for that. Whatever you did last year will work this year as well. However if your school are likely to have this as a permanent structure, you will need to think about a 3 year cycle of history/geography/science rather than a 2 year one.

4. CDuffy15

CDuffy15 New commenter

I've only just seen your replies! Thank you for the advice. Yes it is a small school, where the HT doesn't want an R/1 split, we've had to bump some Y2 up to 3/4 to avoid 30+ in the ks1 class. I must say, it's been difficult!