1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 13 Leavers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stewarty, May 10, 2017.

1. stewarty

stewarty New commenter

I have had the privilege of teaching a wonderful group of students over the last 5 years. I was a top set teacher in Year 9, 10, 11 taking them through GCSE and Add Maths, and I now teach many of them Further Maths, finishing soon.

Its been a great trip taking them on this journey and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a memorable leaving gift/idea that I could give to them? I am really struggling to come up with anything that wont cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks in advance.

Piranha likes this.
  2. maths126

maths126 New commenter

They sound extremely lucky to have had you for their teacher all this time; and well done you for sticking with them and leading them on to such great things.
    Something personalised would be good. Some 'special edition' printed mugs, perhaps? You could then include all their names or some class in-jokes. Make sure to include the date. Otherwise some professionally-printed certificates (framed?) to mark their long journey now completed. If appropriate for this class, maybe some Star Wars-themed prizes to mark their new Jedi status or whatever the current class favourite is.
    Cheaper still - arrange a class photo with you all in it, get them all to sign it with a Sharpie around the edge, and then present everyone with a copy. Then you would have a copy to keep for yourself too if you wished.

3. stewarty

stewarty New commenter

Thank you maths126. I am loving the Star Wars idea as we often get waylaid by our discussions on the topic! (Whoops)

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Totally agree with the personalised ideas. I have also had the privilege of teaching students over a long period of time (my record was in my first school some decades ago when I took many students from Year 7 to Year 13 Maths & Further Maths!)

What you want is photos / personal stuff.
    I once gave a 13 Further Maths Class I had taught since Year 10 some dot to dot Polar Curves cards (we had a discussion in class one day about how they still liked kids stuff!). I wrote a long personal message inside each card.

And just in case anybody wants them: dot to dot polar curves! Scroll down a bit.