1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 12 numeracy

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Fraction123, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Hi there,

I am a new member looking for some advice or pointing toward some resources I can't seem to find by searching.

My school has asked me to write a series of lessons to be delivered to year 12 students outside of their normal A-levels to support the numeracy content of their STEM studies. For example, rearranging formulae for A level physicists, calculating standard deviation for pshychologists etc.

There would be about half a dozen lessons aimed at students that have not taken Maths A level but have taken courses with mathematical content, the STEM subjects.

I was wondering if any members have gone through a similar process and perhaps could suggest some suitable materials.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

2. PFCDaz

PFCDaz New commenter

I would suggest looking at the support materials written for the new core maths qualifications. By the sound of it you do not have enough lessons to offer a core maths qual, but the course content covers a lot of the key topics.

MEI have written a lot already:

www.mei.org.uk/iqm-resources

there is also the "core maths support program" website which has a few bits and pieces

Hope this helps