1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 12 - help with listening and in particular hearing percentages, figures and amounts

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by CMaryBates, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Dear Joe - The Year 12s are having trouble catching the numbers, percentages and fractions in their listening work. Any hints on a good starter for a lesson on listening to numbers and fractions? Many thanks CMaryBates

2. Dear Joe - The Year 12s are having trouble catching the numbers, percentages and fractions in their listening work. Any hints on a good starter for a lesson on listening to numbers and fractions? Many thanks CMaryBates

3. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Have a look at the FREE AS French Windows demo unit on Voyages, Transports et Tourisme here http://taskmagic.posterous.com/taskmagic3-attitudes-a-level-french-sample-vo, which includes a few listening exercises - one of the texts focuses in particluar on recognising numbers, percentages, years, fractions etc and there are several interactive exercises and worksheets based on this text.

There are exercises like this for most of the units that make up the AS course from http://www.alevelfrench.com/home/

4. dalej

dalej New commenter

Dear CMaryBates,
    I've put your question on your behalf on Twitter and will let you know if there are any responses. Could you specify which language you are referring to please?
    Best wishes
    Joe

5. Bingo cards with difficult figures (esp. 48 and 84%!!) has worked for me in the past as a starter. I have lost a lot of resources recently due to my husband "cleaning" our external harddrive but I will try and hunt them out...

6. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

7. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

Which ever language you're dealing with it's great practice to take a set of figures whether it be from INSEE in France or whatever the other country's equivalent is and just play around talking about the figures eg for cinema frequenting for different age groups.
    Practice moving between the 78% to presque 8 sur dix to plus de trois quarts des... It gives you a great chance to practice augmenter/diminuer and all that sort of vocab too.
    As mentioned above all alevelfrench.com units have a listening "programme" based on the Factoids idea where the whole point is to listen for detail like that.