1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 12 GCSE resit

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mmmmmaths, May 4, 2011.

1. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Questions for those of you in sixth form colleges. How much time do they have allocated, when do they resit, what level do they resit at.

Thanks

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

??? The three missing question marks!

3. KYP

KYP New commenter

3 hours lesson time, 1 hour supervised study (per week)
    Number module in November, Data Handling Module in March, Algebra and Shape and Space in summer
    Foundation tier
    But the specification changes for next year, so not sure about what to do from September!

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

We're not a 6th form college, but we scrapped timetabled retake classes and moved the whole experience to a once weekly 2 hour evening class - to which 6th formers have free access, but which is also accessed by mature students. This has the benefits of ensuring that only those who are serious about retaking do the class, and also ensures much better behaviour due to the presence of other, older 'students'. Results are also better. They do foundation linear, but only since that's what we have been doing in school.

5. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Thanks for the replies; useful information.
    Anyone else do anything else?

6. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Third time trying to post!

So, what is happening with resit GCSE in colleges - especially interested in FE - now that there will be a huge increase in resit students?

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My answer is a year out of date. We entered resits for Higher in November, then again in March - after that we did different entries depending on performance to date.

Realistically I have found that C/D borderline students have a better chance on Higher Tier. Several of my group weren't realistically C/D borderline though. I would suggest that if they are on an E or below then put them in for Foundation, if they have a D or above then Higher. Rinse and repeat as many times as possible!

Teaching the resit group wasn't the best experience of my life but I rationalised it by thinking about trying to teach the same kids for an A level or BTEC for 5 hours a week. Attendance was inconsistent, but from what I gathered that was the same for all their subjects. They wouldn't do homework but they would co-operate in the lesson if I kept things accessible and pacey.

8. It depends greatly upon the cohorts you have and the management's approach to resits (that includes HoDs, Faculty leaders, Pastoral Managers etc).

Cohort 1 - kids doing A-levels who just missed out on a C and need it for HE. Usually they work hard, and the options of Higher (go for the low hanging fruit) or Foundation (most of it is easy, don't make careless mistakes) can be explained and absorbed. Attendance is generally good, they'll do (some) homework and they'll chew through past papers. We give these a shot in November then again in June.

Cohort 2 - kids doing a mix of Level 3 courses, who have a lowish GCSE average. They don't want to resit, but some see the point. Almost all do Foundation. Those who are self-motivated get on and succeed. Those who are at school/college "because that's what you do after GCSEs" are generally a waste of time and effort.

Cohort 3 - kids who have a handful of E-G grades or who didn't (for whatever reason) sit a Maths GCSE. Some can surprise you. Most won't After all, if it took them 11 years to get up to F grade, they aren't going to improve to a C grade in a year, are they? Best bet for these is a build up through Entry level, followed by the FSMQ and then eventually onto GCSE. They rarely have good attendance, much of a work ethic or care about the result, as they already know they are "shyt at Maths".

I expect colleges may well see more of cohort 3, with a slough of courses to "cater for their needs" being put on. SMT will expect miracles. They won't get miracles. Retention and attendance will be dire, and behaviour potentially a serious issue, which will adversely affect those who DO want to learn in the classes. Basically, these groups will be a repeat of those delightful bottom set year 10 and 11 classes.

Currently, we have 3 hours per week with all groups, although we also run some lunchtime support sessions.

cyolba, is it only three weeks left? :)