1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 11 Students - After the Exam

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Feb 26, 2013.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I support students who are not in school for medical reasons, and a number of my year 11 students (from different schools) are taking linear Maths this week and next.
    This has left me wondering what to do with them after the exam. Presumably students are entered this early with a view to being able to re-take, but what do schools do with students who have already taken the exam, but presumably still attend lessons?
    We won't know the result for a while. If you carry on with Maths, and it turns out that the students have already got their C, what happens then? These are all Foundation students, so we're not realistically going to spend a few weeks teaching them trigonometry to take the Higher paper in June. And if you know that they aren't going to get the desired grade the first time, why enter them?

2. Practical Maths? For example, cost out redecorating a bedroom or putting a concil park together. Look at spots statistics? Get them to come up with some online survey they can send to their mates and you can then analyse the results with them. Investigate bank accounts, gas bills, etc.
    cyolba, practical advice :)

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Yes, thanks - I like the idea of some sort of non-curriculum Maths. I come from a computing background, so I could also throw in some algorithmic, decision-maths type things, and a PSE-type section on questioning statistics you hear in the news might be of value.

4. DM

DM New commenter

Why? It is perfectly possible for students to improve by one grade between March and June!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

schools enter early to get a nailed on C, they have no incentive to pay for yet more entries to possibly gain a B grade. AND there is a huge step fro C to B grade (and indeed from Foundation to Higher as would be required)
    the old sixth form only modular course started with money management, that would make a decent unit for finishing school.
    I would also support the ideas above for practical Maths, which are similar to many of the original foundation coursework tasks

6. DM

DM New commenter

What if their 3LOP target is a B?
    And any student who can scrape a C on Foundation is already certain to get a decent C on Higher (test it for yourself) so they would only need to learn a few topics to make a B.

7. I wholeheartedly agree with DM's sentiment. Get them the highest grade they can. The gap between B and C isn't that large if the understanding up to C grade level is sound.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the school i am on long term supply at thought that. Sadly last summer it was made harder to get a C grade on higher. As a result their Maths results plummetted with THIRTY candidates missing their C on higher, thus getting nowt. OFSTED are sniffing aorund, Academisation ahs been enforced and Special Measures looms.

9. DM

DM New commenter

Sounds like this school was clueless. Why would you get "nowt" if you missed the C on Higher? Grade D is below and a compensatory grade E was available last summer. In fact, on Edexcel Linear, you only needed 6.5% to grade. It would be almost impossible to fail to do so.

10. My sentiments exactly. There are times when you've got to 'suck it up' and deal with the situation in front of you. The time to discuss what's happened is after the dust has settled, not during.

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

If it's not about banking a C for the school, why are all but the top students sitting the paper now, rather than preparing properly, maybe doing a mock now, and getting the right grade in a term's time?

12. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

In my kids' school the the top students are sitting the paper now so they can start on AS..