1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 11 Leavers ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Vicki197, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Vicki197

Vicki197 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of my time with my very first form that I've carried through from year 7. I'd really like to do something personal for each of them but I don't really know what! Obviously I don't want to spend a lot of money so something home made is ideal - I don't mind spending time on this as I think they're worth it.

I found a previous thread from a few years ago with a lot of negativity so please don't respond if you don't think I should be doing this - I'm not under any obligation from my school or peers. This is just something I want to do as a nice little token for them being my lovely form!

Thanks in advance :)

bramblesarah likes this.
  2. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I once gave a lovely form a little wristband each with a lollipop and pencil/notebook to go with it.

Depending how much you want to spend, maybe a few packets of something like this so they get one each, maybe with Miss Vicki's class of 2020 on it or something.
    https://www.able-labels.co.uk/personalised-graphite-pencils.html

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you have access to photos of each from Y7, why not a card for each, with a 'then & now' photos showing how they've grown up over the time and a personal written message in each.

Personally, if it was my form, I think it would be a tin of Roses or Celebrations (or one of each) for the class to share!

Lidnod likes this.
  4. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

We had a tutor group awards ceremony, with awards for everyone from the jokey Best Use of Hair Gel in Year 8 to the more serious Most Helpful Member of the tutor group. It was swift and punchy, coordinated with projected photos, and caused great hilarity at times. Everyone got a ‘certificate’ and a couple of sweets. We finished with a montage of memorable photos through the years, including memories of those who had left to go elsewhere.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

When I was left school our form tutor did this and it was lovely. One of my best memories from school. I think a 'best of' with one chocolate medals would be a great idea.

Lidnod likes this.
  6. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

What about making a video of a series of photos. Form ones, sports day, things from the school website. Photos from year 7 onwards.
    Find a song to go with it...but make sure you only show it in school and do not upload to youtube!!!!

Lidnod likes this.
  7. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Same here - biscuits, chocolates and Maomam!! Crispy Kreme doughnuts, serviettes and a before and after short video (yr 7 pics/Yr11 pics).
    However, I would bake them something from home - list full ingredients etc...check dietary requirements and a farewell card or personalised pens or stickers/stationery case that they can take away and use at college or 6th form.

8. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

My last tutor group were fab.

Being DT, and having access to a laser cutter, I made some clear acrylic drinks coasters.... tutor group, dates, school logo engraved on the underneath.

As I ran out of time to finish them, each student got an envelope with a coaster and 4 self adhesive rubber feet. Much hilarity as those girls with fake nails couldn't get the backing of the self adhesive bit...!

meggyd and Lidnod like this.
  9. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I remember my son getting a certificate for contribution to the NHS as he was both accident-prone in sport, and had just had a batch of tests that found out he had Celiac Disease. He found it very funny.

Lidnod likes this.