1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Year 11 Leavers' assembly and prom speeches

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Dizzy Lizzie, Jun 13, 2008.

1. I have agreed to 'help' my Deputy Head write speeches for the Year 11 Leavers' assembly and prom. In reality, this seems to mean I'm writing them! Any suggestions regarding content would be gratefully received...

2. Dr Seuss' "Oh the places you'll go" goes down well

3. Thanks Packerguy

4. blazer

blazer Established commenter

Not a speech as such but the last 2 years I have put together a powerpoint of photos that we have of the kids, especially from things they did when they were in years 7 and 8. I add funny speech and thought bubbles to the photos which appear a few seconds after the photo comes up. A chance to get a few digs back at one of two of them. Add a soundtrack (this year it was School's out by Alice Cooper).

5. For the last two years, we've enlisted the help of the year 11 form tutors. They've all had a 5m inute slot where they've given a speech or done a presentation for their form. The students love it because virtually all of them get a mention. Some form tutors did a 'guess the comment' quiz where they read out some of the year 6 comments from each student that were passed through to us as part of the transition process in year 7. Students had written down what their fears were and what they were most looking forward to; some of them were hilarious. The form teacher also showed year 7 and year 11 pictures of the students which went down a storm. One form tutor wrote a song and performed it but the tutors that just did a short speech were as equallly well received. You could also give out silly awards - whatever happens the students will love it.