1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 11 intervention

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by etizard, Mar 28, 2012.

1. My school is one of very few in the locality with A level languages provision, so we get quite a lot of students in Y12 who transfer from various other schools. Secure in the knowledge that they have an A or A* in French, (and of course this is a generalisation and not true of some of them,) they then proceed to demonstrate that they don't know how to manipulate verbs, string two sentences together or have any notion of tenses, reflexives, or anything really unless they have learnt it parrot-fashion. Pronouns? Adjectives? You've got to be kidding. Yet somehow they've come out of GCSE with the highest grades, 30% (and previously 25%) of which was for writing. Never mind though, at least they helped their last school to meet some targets.

2. I would agree that 'controlled conditions' assessments + cheating produce high GCSE grades, but no basis for A level. Coursework was open to abuse in the same way, but the arrival of the e-bacc has undoubtedly increased the pressure on teachers to cheat. If pupils have a Grade A in Geography why can they not get a Grade C in French? Haave you seen article in today's Guardian?
    : http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/apr/02/teachers-under-pressure-to-cheat

3. Well, that says it all. Thanks for the link. Is the game finally up?
    Can we get back to teaching as a vocation and not a job with the sole aim of producing ever higher and more unrealistic results?
    Is 'intervention' a euphamism for 'cheating'? It's all they bang on about at my school ( = it's the teachers' fault the pupils can't or won't do what they need to do to pass). I'm sure we'd never heard the word used like this 5 years ago.

4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

My school's heavily into 'intervention' and my CPD targets are for all my GCSE grades to be at least B, and for my AS scores to be at least APS+3 (whatever that means - something to do with what the computer thinks my pupils should be getting - I haven't looked into it too much, but I know some of them are below)). Now, as it happens, one of my year 11 pupils is heading for a C and I get the impression he's quite alright with that. All his CAs have been C throughout the course. I've occasionally invited him to lunchtime revision sessions and he's declined (looking horrified - he's shy), and I've occasionally asked to see him during assembly or form period time and he's turned up and done a little bit of extra work. I've done these things because my colleagues told me I needed to. I think it would be unethical for me to pressurise this poor chap just for my own benefit. He's the weakest member of the class and has worked cheerfully throughout the course, handing hwk in on time and contributing to lessons. He's done fine. And how do I know he hasn't got other teachers pushing him in order to meet their targets?
    Now, if he were heading for a D that would be different: I'd be ringing home and discussing the matter with his parents, and making sure he does extra work.
    I'm still waiting to experience the telling off that happens when your pupils don't hit those targets.