1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 11 form, leavers poem???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by goonernumber1, Mar 1, 2007.

1. goonernumber1

goonernumber1 New commenter

I posted on here a few months ago about having to write something on my year 11 form leaving for the yearbook, and about me wanting to write a poemm for it. The probem is I am sooooooo rubbish at anytihng to do with literacy. I got some good ideas last time but I haven't been able to fulfil them (have tried loads to write a good poem), so am now looking for some sort of template maybe that I can write in the names of my pupils and they as if by magic write me a wonderful / funny / personal / heart felt poem.

Is there such a thing???

Deadline tomorrow by the way!

2. goonernumber1

I posted on here a few months ago about having to write something on my year 11 form leaving for the yearbook, and about me wanting to write a poemm for it. The probem is I am sooooooo rubbish at anytihng to do with literacy. I got some good ideas last time but I haven't been able to fulfil them (have tried loads to write a good poem), so am now looking for some sort of template maybe that I can write in the names of my pupils and they as if by magic write me a wonderful / funny / personal / heart felt poem.

Is there such a thing???

Deadline tomorrow by the way!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

4. goonernumber1

Hmmm could be a last resort....

Got really excited when I say someone post a link but hey! Shall we say nearly.

Anybody else....

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've been sitting trying to remember... a teacher at my school did a song, but I guess that'd work?

This was to the tune of London Bridge is falling down... it started something like

Charlie N is very cool
    she's good at school, knows the rules
    Charlie N fell of her stool
    And we all saw her knickers

That sort of thing anyway. I couldn't remember it exactly. It was a gentle **** take, but very funny!

Oh - and did you know there are rhyming dictionaries online to help you?

6. I used "Oh the places you'll go, oh the things you'll see" by Dr Seuss

7. Was sent this many years ago from an old and wise friend. I think there is a version in verse too.

Ithaca C Kavalis 1863 - 1933

When you set out for Ithaca, ask that the journey be long, full of adventure, full of things to learn. The Laestrygonians and the Cyclops, angry Poseidon - do not fear them. Such as these you will never find on your way, if you have elevated thoughts, if choice emotions touch your spirit and your flesh. The Laestrygonians and the Cyclops and fierce Poseidon you will not meet, unless you carry them in your heart, unless your heart sets them in your path.

Pray that your journey be long; that there be many summer mornings when with what joy, what delight, you will enter harbours you have not seen before; and will stop at Phoenician trading-ports, acquire beautiful merchandise, mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony, and sensuous perfume of all kinds - as many sensuous perfumes as you can. Visit many Egyptian cities, to gather stores of knowledge from the learned.

Have Ithaca always in your mind. Your destination is to arrive there: but do not hurry your journey in the least. Better that it may last for many years, that you may cast anchor at that island when you are old, rich with all that you have gained along the way, not expecting that Ithaca will give you wealth; Ithaca gave you that splendid journey. Without her you would not have set out. She has nothing more to offer.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not deceived you. You have acquired such wisdom, so much experience, that you will have already realised what these Ithacans mean.

8. On our final day of University our tutor played us the Greenday song 'time of your life'. Its not a poem but was quite touching and pretty much said everything that needed to be said! Here are the lyrics:

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
    Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
    So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
    It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
    I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
    Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
    Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
    For what it's worth it was worth all the while

Could be something to think about - let me know what you think! Jen xx

9. Grandelf

Thank you!

In middle of Ofsted and SBA for NPQH

Your link cheered me right up!

:eek:)

10. I know it's from an advert for shaving stuff, but I like the sentiment:

Be first to step forward when others step back
    Be a friend to those you know but a friend to those you don?t
    Be quick to admit you were wrong even though you thought you were right
    Be up when others are down
    Be passionate about things you believe in and open minded about things you don?t
    Be a leader when others follow
    Be who you are not who they tell you to be
    Be the best you can be? be a king

11. That, and 'Wear Sunscreen' by Baz Luhrman.

12. goonernumber1

Thanks very much for your replies.

Jen, I like this loads but wanted something to mention names etc. I was hoping for poems with 'inset name here' things.

HHmmm.

Have tried writing my own one with help of rhyming dicitonary but am utterly useless. Literally, useless.

Thnks for suggestions.

13. If I give my Year 11 a poem, it's the one that's written sort of opposite to the poem about 'miles to go before I sleep'-it's about a teacher who analysed it to death, so no one wanted to read it anymore
    If I give them a picture, it's the Blake 'reaching for a star' engraving

14. Year 11, its finally come to that time of the year,
    Where you hang up your PE kits and kiss good bye to your peers,
    Who would have thought it would happen so fast,
    Its seems only yesterday you were my year 10 Class,

I?m sure that each of you knows and will agree,
    That you have been a special class to me,
    Drama has brought us all close together,
    Through thick and thin, with memories that will last forever

There have been times where I?ve wanted to burst out and cry,
    But your stories and weirdness have kept me tongued tied,
    You?re all such a lovely crazy crew
    And wish you all the best in pastures new.