1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 11 confidence crisis- advice needed

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by davidhyner, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Glad to help if I can (without trying to sell you a workshop?!)

... although I can do this as well if needed.

I deliver to 20'000 Yr11's each year and your situation is not uncommon sir.

try to deliver some "fun" and inter-active exercises around them understanding the consequences of their thoughts, actions, attitudes and behaviors.

for example, get them to be observed by their friends slouched in their chair with their "whatever" face on.
    get the friends to show the student how they "look" to them.
    then ask the student to sit and stand as if they were the most confident person they have ever seen with a facial expression to match.
    get the group to copy and feedback again.
    if they are sick and tired of being treated like a "kid" you can then ask them, what are they "showing" the world that perhaps might lead them to make the wrong assumptions about them, and so could they show the world the more confident looking and behaving person in order to get treated with more respect?

This is just one of many such things we do, and if you want to discuss more, do not hesitate to contact me
    www.stretchdevelopment.com
    David Hyner

2. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Without trying to sell you David's workshop, I can recommend him.
    I believe that getting students used to the exam atmosphere is key to the "fear of the exam hall" thing. We have all the end of year tests in the hall under exam conditions, so when the students reach y11 they've already had 5 years of it and it becomes a little "old hat"
    For your current 11s.... Perhaps they need to get a perspective on things. Its actually very fashionable to be emotional at the moment so the fears that they're showing to the world will probably be the same as previous generations but we just hid them inside. as David says, much of this has to do with their mindset and self belief. Sadly its not an overnight fix [​IMG]
    Probably haven't been very helpful actually, but i'm gonna hit "post" anyway

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I am still astounded that our kids, who are the most assessed and tested kids in the world having been tested umpteen times a year since reception class still worry about exams!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And how much of their stress is created by us. Don't forget that the results mean more to us than they do to them! Are we conveying our anxiety onto them by putting them under too much pressure?

5. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Yes