1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 11 7 week plan

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by bretonne35, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hi guys

Slt in our school have asked all olds to write a 7 week plan which needs to highlight and explain all intervention that are in place to support year 11. In mfl we have 4 weeks left so mine will be a 4 week plan. Is is something your school is asking too?

These are the things we do bearing in mind we are 2 full time teachers and a part- time supply with 4 gcse groups 84 pupils.
    We are:

Doing revision lessons every Monday and Wednesday after school
    Wev have a drop in clinic for controlled assessment
    We call year 11 parents weekly for those who cause trouble and also invite them in
    We team teach and sometimes swap classes to give each class different teaching styles
    We identify which skills are weakest in which kids and make them practise more
    They have a List of websites they can use at home

2. Similar story here - I'm up before management next week to explain our intervention and have been advised to put a positive spin on it. We keep on talking up predicted / target grades but will come a cropper in the results no doubt. We are doing much the same as you and really can't add anything else except - and here's the really rational idea - getting the pupils to do some work and making them put some effort into revision. Mind you, management won't like that one. There's another thread about intervention on here - (the new buzz word, never heard it used in this way until 2 years ago) so you are far from alone.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Can you see why that's bound to fail? You've got two pairs of incompatible words: "pupils" and "work", and then "rational" and "management". I rest my case.

4. Oh I do love the positivety of some people!

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Or realism.

6. Apologies for the sharp nature of my previous post - it's been a long day! Yes I agree entirely that it may be realism but SMT have a job to do and like it or otherwise, if they (and thus we) aren't seen to be doing all we can for our pupils then I fear we'll have a lot more to moan about.

7. chriszwinter1

That's my point. It's the pupils who should be doing the work instead of expecting us to do it for them, which in the most extreme cases is exactly what happens.

8. Yes I couldn't agree more and nothing makes more angry than the outright cheating that we all know goes on! However, the very nature of the education system these days mean there is an increased onus on us to also do all we can - to support, not do for - our pupils.
    Please accept my apologies if I caused offence - I certainly didn't mean to. I know every one of us works as hard as the next - I was merely pointing out that SMT do have a job to do too!

9. chriszwinter1

No problem. No offence was caused. It is after all a forum for exchanging opinions.
    My own experience as a HoD with certain SMT-types hasn't exactly made me warm to them. In the same school I've worked with those who operate a blame culture and those who haven't forgotten what a slog it is with "students". You work much better <u>with</u> the latter than you do <u>for</u> the former, or at least that's how it feels.