1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10's hate business (unhappy face)

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by cb700, Jan 21, 2013.

1. cb700

cb700 New commenter

I teach 2 year 10 groups one GCSE (OCR) and one BTEC level 2. Maybe Im taking it to heart but both groups say that they really dont like business and wish that they had never chosen it as a option! A few of my GCSE students have jumped on the boring wagon and said that they dont understand it and these are more able. I am currently teaching them the recruitment section of the course and this is one of my favourite topics! How can I get them to share my enthusiasm?

2. jprw01

jprw01 New commenter

Have you spoken to your line manager regarding the comments made by these pupils? If they are finding it too difficult then maybe having a class of 26 isn't helping. A smaller class would be more manageable and would allow you the opportunity to go through things in more detail. It sounds like the main problem here is the lack of motivation of the students and maybe not the teaching that is taking place in the classroom. Have you tried any incentives? Chocolate rewards always work a treat for excellent work. I would involve their head of year and express my concerns early on and ask for advice and support. With the BTEC course you could maybe break the tasks into very small chuncks and set the class targets. Maybe look to provide them with 'An Idiots Guide To Business'. This is simply the task broken down into the smallest possible activity and it needs to provide clear instructions of what they need to do in order to pass and progress through the tasks.
    I would also arrange some CPD for the courses you are offering and meet other teachers to see if they are experiencing similar difficulties and if so how they overcome such challenges. Get pupils to complete a questionnaire to find out type of lesson they would find engaging and try to incorporate this into your own teaching.

Hope this helps

3. All excellent advice.
    Having not taught the BTEC I cannot comment. However, before you take it to heart I can't really imagine the same kids saying they love 'Maths' or they really enjoy writing essays in English! Some students just won't be pleased no matter how hard it is. In addition to the above, students like to know that they are achieving. Can you give them some (slighty) OTT feedback on assignments saying how good their work is? I remember an old group who were very low on motivation soon started to enjoy it when their coursework was being returned to them with As and Bs stamped all over it!
    With the OCR group, throw the SOW out of the window. Pick some of your 'fun lessons' and get them in early. We do a marketing project where the students create a new breakfast cereal - bit arty and creative (you can play as much emphasis on marketing theory as you want). Get them to re-brand the school uniform (again, use as much or little marketing theory as you want). Start bringing some props in and have a dig around for some kineasthetic lessons (oxfam website is great). Year 10s will have all their exams in Year 10 so you can afford to mix things up a little!
    Finally, don't take it personally... kids moan about everything!

4. Hiyah
    FACT SHEETS - PICK FACTS TO INCLUDE - AND EXPAND
    I have some bottom set year 10 BTEC groups (predicted E-G in their maths) and I found this a challenge at the start. I found mine really like a quick starter then into a worksheet that they can work at their own pace on the coursework. For example for the Local Government report in unit 1 ( what a drudge that report is to do - its no wonder these kids are not taking their shoes off and throwing them at us) The stuff is"dry" - so I issued sheets that had a range of facts about the local government and they had to choose what to include - what to research further and what charts to put in. I was amazed at how well it worked. It was a starting point that they needed. Now some of the group with MLD say "stop talking miss and just give me the sheet so I can get on" other feedback I've had from high ability students is "I like this lesson because you give me some guidance and then let me get on with it". That was on a report about Europe.
    CHALLENGE LESSON
    You have 1 hour to produce a report on Europe - go! Don't know why this works but it does - with a timer on the board. Jones - is your report going to be ready in time? (Kid typing like the clappers) yes miss....
    RAFFLE LESSON
    Raffle tickets for good work and an EXTRA ticket for producing a whole report - go! You then stroll around with a book of tickets. Make the first prize awesome - really knock it out the park with a 4 pack of mars bars etc. Then hold a raffle every now and again as the mood takes you.
    READING LEVELS
    One day I wandered past one of my students getting some extra reading support in the Library and realised that of course that for some the reading levels were way below my original handouts.
    NEED GLASSES?
    I can't stress enough how simple it all needs to be and clear - use a bigger font! Sounds stupid but if I asked my class to raise their hand and tell me how many have glasses but don't wear them - I would get a good 20%.
    CAN PETE THE PIRATE HELP?
    Another thing I tried was to name my sheets - for example "Pete the pirate", so instead of repeating 26 times, "Jones have you got your sheet?" - "what sheet miss?", "you know that worksheet" - "what worksheet miss?" etc just say "where's your Pete the pirate?" Creates a laugh and they know which sheet you are on about. "Make sure your Pete the pirate tick sheet is at the front" you get the idea. Names and a bit of clip art help them to engage with what is on the sheet. I even use this with my year 11s and it has trebled the student's ability to get the right sheet at the front of handing in work for an assignment.
    Of course I still have a handful of students that won't / can't etc and I just manage those as best I can and keep pushing the information to HOF / HOY / HOD etc A cheeky phone call home to the odd one or two usually works wonders too. "Mrs Jones? Hello Miss X here, yes Billy has LOTS of potential in business but hes just not applying himself - such a shame he COULD do soooooo well".
    Some might work / some might not - try some things and let the forum know how you get on.
    regards
    Sarah Hilton @ revisionstation #ecbusteach www.revisionstation.co.uk