1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Unseen Poetry Observation - HELP WITH IDEAS?!?!

Discussion in 'English' started by sparkyboo, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone could suggest any poems or activities which would make a fantastic lesson for an upcoming observation I have? I've been told that my target is to ensure pace throughout the lesson, but am struggling to come up with some new, innovative ideas.

Thank you for taking your time to help.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Would help to know which poetry you're looking at.

3. Am following the Cambridge IGCSE syllabus so no set poems to study for Unseen Poetry - just need something to help develop their skills.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I realise that - the clue was 'unseen' [​IMG] - but I wondered whether you've something in mind?

5. Surely easier to decide what you want to teach them and then to find a poem that fits. No point in deciding that you're going to teach them how to discuss and analyse imagery when the poem relies on something else entirely for its effect. Unseen poetry means you are teaching skills first and foremost so that should be your focus, perhaps with a variety of poems.