1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Tutee - Pushing Boundaries

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by whistler, Apr 23, 2012.

1. I have a Year 10 Tutee who is trying to question and push boundaries within school. Our next course of action is for her to agree to 'rules' within the school guidelines expressed in her own words. I was wondering if anyone had, or has seen, examples of this that they would be willing to share?
    Many thanks
    Whistler

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

A former HoY of mine used to start this off by asking the obnoxious brat, "What gives you the right to ....?" Mind you, he was a strong HoY who marginalised the trouble makers and as a result the students and his tutors loved him. If you have a weak line manager/SMT or one of those clowns who has prattles on about student rights, the brat will try to turn it around and claim that you are too strict or picking on her or you don't like her. And then you go back to that first question.

3. Thank you for both of your replies.
    Her first line of defence is usually that rules are unfair eg it states in our uniform rules that long hair must be tied back and of natural colour. She chooses to wear her hair down, so when asked to tie it up complains - other students react in the same way so she is not alone in this respect.
    She has a tendency to not think before reacting impulsively, so can't really justify her actions if she hasn't thought about them.
    Minor breakthrough this week though, one of her friends suggested she do something that would inconvenience a member of support staff. She thought twice and walked away - hopefully this will continue. Yay! for a minor victory and hopefully many more ...