1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Science early entry

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by david_worden, Sep 27, 2015.

?

Should we enter students for their Core Science GCSE early in Year 10 ?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. david_worden

david_worden New commenter

I have recently joined a new school as the Head of Science and they enter their Year 10 students for their Core Science GCSEs in Year 10. I am not entirely convinced that this is the best option for our students (in a mixed comprehensive school). I have found some evidence to suggest that early entry in Maths and English often leads to lower grades compared with students who aren't entered early but I am struggling to find any evidence that discuss the successes and failures of Core Science early entry. Does anyone have any data or thoughts that could help me with this decision? We have a 3 Year Key Stage 3 Science programme. I know with the new combined Science GCSEs coming in this is the last Year I will be able to do this.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I'm not a Science teacher, so my opinion isn't really valid.

Nevertheless, I was under the impression that the core Science GCSE was designed to be taken in Year 10, with students then following Additional Science or Additional Applied Science in Year 11.

I've worked in two schools since the current Science specifications came into force and both have entered students in this way.