1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 into Year 11

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by DalekTeacher, Dec 22, 2010.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I was just wondering whether it is normal practice to have a Year 10 group and see them through into Year 11 at all? I really like my Year 10 group and would love to see them through into Year 11 as well.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Yes it is, unless the school feels that you are not up to it, in which case the class will go to a more experienced and trusted teacher.

3. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

Really? What if it just doesn't fit the timetable?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It is customery at my school for you to pick up a form in year 10 and take them through to the end of year 11. A few years back I picked up a form in year 8 took them to the end of year 9 and got on so well with them I asked if I could carr on. They allowed me to take them right through to the end of year 11.

5. It's normal in my school to take your Y10s into 11 unless it is impossible with the timetable or there are concerns regarding progress. I have taken 3 sets through from 10 to 11 now. It means you keep the consistency, you're aware of their strengths and weaknesses and their parents get to know the same teacher. Picking up a Y11 is horrid, 2 years on the trot I picked up classes with incomplete or wrong coursework.

6. In 12 years of teaching and one school move I have only had 2 groups of y11s in my first year at both schools. Thereafter I have always taken my groups through.

7. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

I really like this group that I have got and they have certainly got used to me in an equal measure and the parents have asked if I can take them through as well. Is it common for timetable issues to occur? And do you think it is most likely that I will carry them through? Should I speak to my head of department to check?
    I teach a core subject, not sure if that makes any difference with timetabling.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I took it you mean a tutor group. However in my school you would normally take the same teaching groups through yrs 10 and 11 unless something like a teacher leaving or illness meant that you needed to pick up a yr 11.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

There have been a couple of occasions when several people have left and groups have been rearranged from year 10-11. Picking up groups in year 11 is often hard work.
    P