1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Grammar Teaching!!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Ejiggins2210, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Help needed please!

I am a trainee teacher who is currently teaching my Year 10's about jobs and careers. So far, we have covered: using the conditional and future to say what you would like/ will be when you are older, using the present tense to describe part time jobs, giving opinions about your job and why you have chosen a particular career path, and describing how much you earn and what you spend both your earnings and pocket money on.
    In the coming weeks, I have to cover the "si" + present + future clause (!!), the "si" + imperfect + conditional clause, and some set subjunctive phrases within the topic of jobs- and I am a little stuck!!
    Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could introduce "si" clauses in a clear and understandable way?

Your help would be very much appreciated!!

2. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I think i's really good to link the grammar and topic work.
    Since you've done conditional and future already, don't scare the pupils by suggesting they're learning another bit of new grammar - show them that it is an extension of what they've already learned.
    E.g. They already know how to say "I will be a doctor", so ask them to elicit the meaning of the phrase "If I get good marks in my exams, I will be a doctor" - note the rule, then ask them to expand known future tense phrases with their own "si + present" clauses.
    Then do the same with conditional - this may need a bit more explanation but sell it again as an extension to existing knowledge. "If you want to really show off, you can expand your conditional sentences with a 'si' clause."
    Again show the example and get them to elicit the rule and spot the difference to the present/future structure. like mlapworth said, point out how similar it is to English - this can be reassuring! Then you could ask them to join up beginnings and ends of sentences, then finish sentences with their own ideas. (If I were to fail my exams / If I were to win the lottery / If I could work abroad / If I get a place at Harvard / If I get an apprenticeship place / If I get an A in French...)
    Hope that helps!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I teach them that it's like a mathematical formula: si+present=future, si+imperfect=conditional. They need to decide if it's quite likely or rather unlikely to decide on which one.
    You could then make them do a song - either ***** Denzey, "et si tu n'existais pas" or Natasha St Pier, "mourir demain". Makes the grammar a little more digestable!

4. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

It's the exact same formula as in English...