1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 girl - reluctant reader...any book recommendations??

Discussion in 'English' started by creasey, Feb 2, 2012.

1. When you say reluctant reader, do you just mean not very keen, or is her reading ability quite low for her age?

2. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Although I'm sure you'll get some great ideas for actual books here, perhaps you could look at this from a little further back. WHY is this girl such a reluctant reader?
    At school in KS3 we've been running various projects to engage readers - including a Reading Marathon, where pupils get parents to sign when a book has been read, and they have to follow "around the track" which includes non-fiction, magazine, newspaper as well as fiction. This has really engaged our more reluctant readers - "prizes" for completing each page / completing the whole booklet. We've also run a sponsored read, with money going to a books-for-Africa scheme. Again, this has given the pupils a really good "reason" to read.
    Kindles are another way which might engage this girl.
    Finally, I'd question whether anyone else in the family ever sits down to read? As a parent, I know that if I turn off the TV and light the fire in the lounge and settle down with a book, I'll soon find my own children similarly employed. So, perhaps some quesiton to the parents about how valued reading is in their household.
    Oh yes, my teens LOVE reading whilst eating their breakfast!
    I hope this helps

3. I grew up as a struggling / reluctant reader even though my father authored over 70 books. Today I wrtie action-adventures & mysteries for readers 8 - 13, based on that background and on many years of dramatic film and video productions. http://booksandboys.blogspot.com