1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 form Assembly ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jubbliful, Mar 2, 2009.

1. I am currently in my second PGCE placement at an all girls school and i have just started working with a year 10 form group. The current form tutor thought it would be nice for me to help the students prepare for an form group assembly in April so i could experience all the highs and lows of planning an upper school assembly!

Unfortunately, i am finding it difficult to come up with any ideas as i have not been given a particular theme or topic to work with, and as far as i know there are no important dates or events around the 29th April (except Shakespeare day, but the girls have refused that!)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would like something relevant to the girls, so perhaps picking a scene from a recent film that raises a particular issue or something related to school life. I'd like something that stands out from other assemblies but i just can't think of anything!

I have asked the girls to think up some ideas but none have been suggested as yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. I am currently in my second PGCE placement at an all girls school and i have just started working with a year 10 form group. The current form tutor thought it would be nice for me to help the students prepare for an form group assembly in April so i could experience all the highs and lows of planning an upper school assembly!

Unfortunately, i am finding it difficult to come up with any ideas as i have not been given a particular theme or topic to work with, and as far as i know there are no important dates or events around the 29th April (except Shakespeare day, but the girls have refused that!)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would like something relevant to the girls, so perhaps picking a scene from a recent film that raises a particular issue or something related to school life. I'd like something that stands out from other assemblies but i just can't think of anything!

I have asked the girls to think up some ideas but none have been suggested as yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

3. I did this for all year groups and it went down a storm!!
    Start with hands up for who likes chocolate? Then mention Britain's got talent and the guy who tried to set a world record for eating ferrero rocher. Ask for 2 volunteers to do your own 1 minute eating contest (no nut allergies), asking for pupils to cheer the volunteers on. Ensure you have some water and a bin ready, and after building it up a bit, get the kids to go for it. The key bit is, whilst one of them will eat ferrero rocher, you get the other kid to eat chocolate covered pickled onions (or sprouts, both work well!). You'll get quite a reaction from the pupil with a bit of luck. After the minutes up and the kids have gone back to their seats, you then discuss what 'not judging a book by its cover means'. Relate this to school and how kids look different, different accents, effectively, anything where you kids pre-judge.
    After a bit of dialogue, ask kids for a modern example of someone who was pre-judged. Hopefully, one of them comes up with Susan Boyle. Show a You tube clip, then after this, discuss why she get pre-judged, is the way she looks saying to people she's not special.
    Sorry I didn't send this to you earlier, but I know myself that there's not many interesting, pupil friendly assembly ideas on the internet. Hopefully this can benefit someone in the future.

4. Kids doing eating against the clock - I'd like to see a copy of the Risk Assessment!

5. There are a lot of ideas free on:

Bobbuntine.com

6. stewarty

stewarty New commenter

We had one based on "Don't judge a book by its cover"

Started off talking about, and watching the clip of Susan Boyle performing on BGT in her first audition. Then talk about other things where judging a book by its cover resulted in poor opinions being formed.

It then finished when three bags of crisps where available, and someone was picked to eat a crisp of their choice. Of course the salt and vinegar were in the cheese and onion bag, cheese and onion where in the prawn cocktail bag, and the prawn cocktail where in the salt and vinegar bag.

Many things to do from there!