1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 exam times for 2012

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by nicky 1, May 22, 2011.

1. nicky 1

nicky 1 New commenter

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help a friend of mine. She has a son who will be starting in year 10 this September. She is hoping to go on holiday next year with her extended family. The holiday is for the last week of June 2012. Her qustion is - is her son likely to be taking any exams at this time (either early GCSE's or mocks)? She has never taken him out of school before and has tried speaking to the school but they are not being very helpful. Obviously if there are likely to be exams then she will not go but as other family members have already booked it will be that week or never.
    Hoping someone is able to help.
    Nicky
    PS he attends a mainstream school in south of England

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

At the moment it is hard to say if there would be exams on in that week as only a provisional timetable has been produced so far. Looking at the AQA website (all boards do exams at similar times to avoid clashes), the GCSE exams that are in the last week of June are Geography, German, Statistics, Sociology, Resistant Materials, Human Health and Physiology, Chinese and Health and Social Care. Bear in mind that not all schools make pupils take exams in yr 10 and these exams may be for units most commonly taken at the end of the course. I would suggest that your friend speaks to parents of current Yr 10 pupils to find out what exams they are taking as, apart from Science, their exams will be staying the same next year. The last science exam is on Wed 20th June.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We will be teaching one of the Controlled Assessments at that stage - miss lessons and there's going to be a problem. Since this is something that schools schedule, you'll need to ask the school when the CAs are as well as when the exams are, and work back from that.

4. For external exams this site shows them all however they are provisional. Obviously the only way you can find out is to check with the school [​IMG]

5. nicky 1

nicky 1 New commenter

Thanks very much for your help, will pass the information and advice on to my friend. x