1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Early Entry - What next?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hopon66, May 23, 2015.

1. hopon66

hopon66 New commenter

Hi,

I have one student in my Year 10 class that is doing his GCSE this summer? What are people's thoughts on what he should do next?

I'm thinking GCSE Statistics/Further Maths GCSE/FSMQ...

Does anyone have any experience of the above - particularly the FSMQ and further maths GCSE.

Thanks in advance,

hopon66

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Further Maths GCSE is a really good exam with interesting questions but I would be concerned that there is not enough additional content in it to keep a very bright student busy for a whole year. I would suggest the FMSQ.

I have done the Further Maths GCSE with my top set this year but it has probably involved less than half a term's extra teaching on top of the iGCSE (so we had already covered differentiation and functions). They like it and enjoy the papers. Presumably he could enter both.

3. deselby

deselby New commenter

I've also taught Further Maths to a small group of my 11's this year. I've managed to condense the vast majority of the curriculum into about 12 one-hour sessions after school, leaving the students to self-study and practice the rest. It is definitely valuable, and from a purely selfish standpoint, if you're not at a school with a sixth form, it's really nice to teach the content.

I also feel that there is value, if they are very able, in allowing them to self-study Decision Mathematics. A lot of colleges and sixth-forms (around here anyway) don't really seem to offer it, but it is such a rich and engaging unit that really helps underpin a huge number of mathematical models that will be useful going further forward.

4. Violalass

Violalass New commenter

If they do FSMQ, they won't thank you at A-level - they'll be bored.

What is the kid going to do during maths lessons? Work on their own?

5. hopon66

hopon66 New commenter

Thanks for the comments so far...

@Violalass: Yes, he will pretty much learn the stuff out of a text book and ask me for help when he needs it. I might get some other of the more able students to have a go at the further maths or FSMQ and then will do some teaching.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Also look at the UKMT mentoring schemes, if he's not already on one.

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

One thing I've always wanted to do with these sorts of kids is to do some "practical" stuff but I hardly ever get the opportunity.

I currently have a small mixed ability class (timetabling and age quirks) who are all doing GCSE maths but are not leaving like year 11s do.

Once the exams are over I'm intending to take over one of the Physics labs (which aren't in use as much now as the year 11s & 13s are gone) and doing some real mechanics with them - the basics that have all been squeezed out of GCSE Physics.

I don't know if it'll work out but it's worth a go.