1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 darlings...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekarma99, May 16, 2012.

1. A couple of my Year 10 lovelys set up an online dating profile for me. They used my school e-mail so I got it shut down straight away. Obviously they don't know me, but I lost my son 6 years ago and my marriage cracked up due to the stress. It has taken a long time to get back to happy, but I am relationship phobic. As a result they hit a nerve even though I am usually thick skinned. Anyway, tomorrow is another day....

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you have found this upsetting - I too lost a son 13 years ago, still think of him every day.
    But there must have been a funny side to the dating profile, surely?
    Year 8 once set up a Facebook profile for me, then approached various teachers with Friend Requests.
    They smelled a rat firstly because of the spelling mistakes on "my" profile, and then because the age that they attributed to me was 25 years younger than my actual one!
    Obviously to year 8, "anyone over 30" = "old".
    Best wishes

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

These kids have gone way beyond appropriate here. In your shoes, I would report this incident to HoY at the very least. The kids need to be taught that acctions hacve reactions. They don't need to know nothing of your background-that's non of their business.
    I'm a bereaved parent myself so I know the hell that is your life.
    Take care.

4. I don't really have anything constructive to say here about the Year 10 pupils, apart from seconding Dragon's post. Try to take small comfort from the fact that (one assumes...) they don't know about your private life and were just being silly and thoughtless. Teenager-ish, really...[​IMG]
    I am SO sorry to read about your loss. I have children and don't want to think about it really. I am very sorry.
    (HUGS)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry if people felt that my contribution was inappropriate - I was trying to get the O.P. to see if there was a funny side in what they wrote about her, to cheer her up.
    Pupils' perceptions of us often err on the funny side . . .