1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Current grades

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by JO9832, Dec 12, 2018.

1. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    I am a primary school teacher and have a son in Year 10. We have just received his report with his current grades on . They tell me he is coasting ! is it possible to work out roughly what GCSE grade he is on track to achieve with these results ? I know there is still plenty of time but I want to know what he is realistically going to get. Thanks

2. bobtes

bobtes Occasional commenter

Depends how the school grade. We use 9-1 in all years, as in grade 6 in year 7 means "you are on track to achieve a grade 6 in year 11", so if you get grade 6 throughout your school career you are doing fine, if it goes down from a 6 you are not on track, and if it goes up you are making great progress.
    From my experience a lot of schools use similar, but some do a "going up like levels did" system - eg your grade rises each year if you are doing well.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

We have used a triple system by Year 11: Grade now, in other words what they are currently achieving; Most Likely, in other words what they'll likely get of they work as expected; and Best, in other words what we think they'll get if they really get going.
    The report form should explain what the school means by grades, but may well not do so (or may do so rather badly, as ours did before a rewrite).

ScienceGuy likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

A friend was telling me that not only did her child's school not explain the grades, but when they asked at parents' evening, they got three different replies as to what they meant!

strawbs likes this.
  5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

As others have said, each school does so sing different. We use currently working at and predicted and try our best to ensure parents understand what we mean (though I have to explain again and again to my bottom groups what they mean)