1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 boys taking inappropriate photos HELP

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hrswingler, Oct 5, 2016.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi @ktloveit

I think you need to start a fresh thread to get some help with your situation.

It is probably best to place it in the 'Workplace dilemmas' section.

Kevin

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Did your union have any solutions or advice for you?

The SLT's advice to you is shocking.

I have had students say indecent things in front of me which I can't repeat here and also call me indecent names which I can't repeat here either. All on supply.

It is very, very upsetting and I know how you feel. If you need to speak to someone, you could try calling the Education Partnership Network.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

This is exactly why IMO schools should be very robust in their handling of mobile phones. Many are not sufficiently robust.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree 100% with you STG.

It was a terrible incident for the OP.

5. hrswingler

hrswingler New commenter

I am incredibly sorry for the late reply to this post.
    This school made my position redundant last year and I am now in a new post at a very supportive school.
    Thankyou all for your support with this matter!

Moony and pepper5 like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Good news you are in a new supportive school and are well.

7. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

@ktloveit what a terrible situation.

This is very clearly highly inappropriate behaviour that needs a much more considered response from the school.

I do recommend starting a new thread to see whether there are other members with specific experience who can give advice. It might be useful to hear from anyone in a senior management role to find out how similar incidents are handled in different schools. This could inform what you ask/expect of your own management.

Try, if you can, to avoid believing that men in senior positions won't appreciate your feelings of vulnerability. There will be some people that do and others that don't understand the situation, or try to brush it off. These may be male or female. I know that statistically fewer men suffer harassment of this sort but for our long term good, we need to see it a problem for everyone to be involved with, regardless of gender. This also means you should expect more from both the men and woman who manage your school.

Get some union advice, make a detailed written record of what happened so that details do not get changed over time, and ask for a meeting with the headteacher. The student will need to have some kind of intervention to help him understand his actions and their consequences. I'm not sure if there are outside agencies that deal with these issues in terms of coming into school to do staff and pupil presentations - I'll do some research and get back to you - but if there are, perhaps the school needs to find some budget for this. Does your school have a community police officer linked to it? They could perhaps be asked to speak to the student as a scare tactic to highlight the illegality of sexual harassment?

In the short term, you need a reassurance that you won't be placed with that student again.

8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Take a look at GLsghost's post on sexual harassment. Your employer has a responsibility to protect you from this.

9. Hels_SX

Hels_SX New commenter

I think you responded correctly. Just reading through the thread, I'd definitely go with a phone ban in class. I deal with much younger kids so it's not an issue, but if I was dealing with older kids, I'd try to implement a system where phones were handed in at the start of the class and given back at the end, for various reasons! Everyone should feel be able to feel safe in their working environment.