1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 10 Behaviour Management Advice

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by teachRE17, Dec 30, 2017.

1. teachRE17

teachRE17 New commenter

Hi all

I'm a trainee RE teacher at a secondary school. I really enjoy my job but struggle with my Year 10 classes (one in particular).

At the beginning of the year we agreed a class contract: Respect each other was one of these. They do not.

I have tried giving detention, adding time on to break and lunch, offering the chance to gain positive behaviour points, raising my voice, building a rapport with the more difficult students. Although when I'm observed they are good, they will walk across the room, talk across the room, talk when others are, I get frustrated and I struggle. They also sing in class! I make each lesson a new day and don't dwell on what happened before. I show I lobe my subject and I went over a unit again because they hadn't understood (although a colleague suggested they may have been trying it on and I had given too much control to them).

My KS3 observations are outstanding for behaviour management but in my end of term report I was given a good because it's not consistent across all Key Stages. I feel a bit gutted and frustrated.

Any tips appreciated.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'd stop giving them a fresh start and withdraw all the happy, positive stuff until they behave. They have shown they can so are clearly choosing to misbehave. Boring bookwork in silence if they step out of line and hammer anyone who doesn't hold the silence with whatever sanctions you have. After a few lessons like that, you can loosen up and start to reward the good behaviour with more positive interaction.

You say detentions and keeping them back doesn't work - have you actually made the expectation clear, the sanction clear and followed through on them consistently?

JohnJCazorla likes this.