1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laurab09, Jul 4, 2018.

1. laurab09

laurab09 New commenter

Evening all,

I’ve just found out I’m going to Year 1 in September after teaching in junior schools for several years! I am very nervous about it! What sort of things would you guys do with them? We have a taster week for the last week of term and I know what I’d do with upper school but not lower!

Any ideas will be very helpful!
    Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First thing I would do is go to the current Yr 1 teacher and ask them how they structure the day. Is it continuous provision for example? How much outside space time will you have access to? Then do a bit of research about expectations of Year 1. It's all changed since I did that age range , but it will be different to what you're used to.

When I did that age range on supply I always made sure I had some music and other 'filler activities' for those odd 5 minutes. Allow lots of extra time for putting on / taking off any PE kit and you may have to help a lot a initially as they're still in Reception.

Ask about usual toilet arrangements too. We often had a couple of Games bands on the back of the door and they put the band on to go and returned it when they came back. Made it easy for them not to keep asking.

Oh there's so much, you're going to have to 'train them' in. ;)

3. librarian91

librarian91 New commenter

We found that the EYFS access to provision and small group work model worked best for transition. We had four ability groups and taught two at a time with a separate TA activity such as chalk writing outside (linked to lesson), concrete numeracy activities, outdoor learning etc. As above, check if and what type of provision is used, we had challenge areas for maths and literacy which were useful extensions or holding activities if other students were working at a slower pace. Some great books for transition include: Here Come the Aliens by Colin McNaughton, Bog Baby by Jeanne Willis or Supertato by Sue Hendra. I also found having an on-going vocabulary list on my working wall helped develop some independence as they could refer to it if they were stuck with their work. '1,2,3, eyes on me' call and response works well for transitions between learning. I have loved my year in year 1! Practice lining up! I had to show them to leave a space between each person etc. just take everything one step at a time and you will soon get into the swing of it. Just remember, 5 years old is a wonderful age to be!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I have lots and lots of poems I've written which are loved worldwide by your age group. Martin Torbert in America has added song to some of them which the children will love. Google JOSIE'S POEMS and go to Younger Children in the index. There's my contribution. I can't offer any better advice than the first class advice the others have already given you. Oh, good luck. I hope you have a very happy year.

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Do you have a parallel teacher to work with or are you one form entry? The quality of the handover will be important in getting a good idea of how the day is structured - Year 1s can be quite tired by the end of the day - and what might work best. Watch how staff, experienced with the age group, interact with them, give instructions or deal with situations. Listen to advice from experienced teachers whom you respect.
    You’ll need to be up to speed with the school’s approach to literacy and reading schemes in Year 1 and how home/school communication is managed. I presume you’ll have a TA who could prove to be an invaluable source of information, too. Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

It's so dependent on your school set up. The way our school is structured, Y1 is very academic and quite a shock from Reception, but we simply don't have the space or adults to enable much more.

As a result, our children have to get into a structured day quite quickly. To be honest, most of them respond really well. As long as things are clear and predictable (routines, visual timetables, etc) I have found that small children absolutely love being "grown up" and relish responsibility, jobs and even little things like sticking in their work into their books.

Every class is different. Last year, I had to cram as much work as I could into the time before 1400, because even later in the year (and even when they moved to Y2) it was hard to get them settled for more than 10 minutes later in the day. This year, I could keep my class working right up to 1500, at least until the recent heatwave!

So, to refer to your original question, if in my school, I would:
    - explain key expectations, eg. Toilet trips, sitting, moving about the room, noise levels, rewards
    - introduce them to subjects (eg maths, literacy, topic) and the books used.
    - introduce them to tables, table groups, and the resources at the tables.
    - get them used to sitting on the carpet and leaving the carpet.
    - introduce a lining up order.
    - introduce them to sticking things (eg learning objectives) on their work.

These are all things you will need to revisit. But start now and you can save yourself trouble later.

monipal likes this.