1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erinjunior, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hello. This has been my first year in Y1 and as it is mid point through the year I am finding it hard to know if I am on track with my class especially in writing. I was wondering if there was a way in which people could let me know where they are with their class in writing. e.g quantity, independence, handwriting etc.
    I worked with my poorestgroup today and felt like banging my head against the wall as they find it really hard to write independently and need lots of support to construct a sentence. Is this usual for this time of the year ???? [​IMG]
    Sorry to ask another question but what bookband level are your children on (ORT)and which do they leave class 1 on??? Sooo many questions!!
    Thank you for reading this

2. Hi. I'm in year 1. As a rough guide (in our school) the average child in year 1 should be working at a high outcome 4 by the end of year 1.
    I would expect the average child to be on ORT stage 5/6 by the end of the year.
    Don't beat yourself up about your lower ability group. Think back to where they were in September and look how much progress they have made. In my LA group one child can sound and blend orally but really struggles to write, one can write simple cvc and hfw but needs support for sentence structure. An activity that helps with sentence structure is to mix up a simple sentence (write each individual word on a post it) and then ask the children to order it. Tell them to look for clues to find the first word etc. I then give them their own sentence strip for them to cut and stick in the books. They then write the sentence underneath. I then get them to write the sentence start and change the last word.
    Don't know if that's any help. Good luck.

3. Has anyone got really pushy parents continually asking for their child to be moved up an ort stage when they are not ready? Has anyone had parents requesting that their child skip the non fiction books in each stage because they are not interesting? I believe they are asking to skip the non fiction because they are more challenging.

If so how do you deal with it?

4. becky70

becky70 New commenter

This is very common.
    This becomes easier to handle if (like me) you've also taught in KS2. I'd actually talk to these parents about how reading will be assessed later in the child's time at school (i.e. comprehension tests) and that to do well in reading throughout school a child needs to be able to read and understand non-fiction texts.

5. When they come to us in Year 2, I would say the average ORT level is around 5. Some are happily reading chapter books and the bottom group may still be on Stage 2/3. I get parents asking about moving them on and I have a chat about the comprehension etc, as the parents can often focus on the decoding. I say they need to read a range of books, so it is important to read the non fiction. I would suggest mixing it in with the stories if the the non fiction a little tricky.
    For writing most come up from Year 1 being able to write a sentence or so, with the top ones happily writing a page of good stuff, although using full stops in longer pieces can still be an issue for them. The bottom group with still be struggling to write a sentence independently that you can read. I'd say mine was a mixed intake.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Yes, all very
    common. Also, many parents think that as soon as their child
    successfully reads a single book without any help, then they are ready
    to move up a level. They don't appreciate that the child needs to be
    confidently reading more than just the 1 book, and not just decoding it
    either! I've got one very high ability girl who could probably read any
    adult book you gave her. However, she doesn't take any of it in, her
    comprehension is shocking. Yet Mum is constantly asking for her to be
    moved up because she can read all the books that are going home (even
    though I explained this at parents evening!) Yes lots also ask them to
    skip NF, but I'd say tough luck, child needs to learn to read NF books!
    (Incidently, is this more of an issue with girls? Often I find my boys
    love the NF books.)
    In terms of writing....I've got about 8
    children working at a 1a/2c level, most around 1b-1c, and about 6 still
    on P levels. I've got 2 that can't really write a sentence
    independently, and another 2 who can, but it would take them about 40
    minutes (and they'd need a lot of reminders on concentration!) We do
    longer phonics sessions 2 days a week and generaly I spend 20 minutes of
    them modelling how to write a sentence using the new words/sounds we've
    looked at, then getting the kids to write some sentences. This works
    well, as they're not thinking too much about the content, but focusing
    on the capitals, full stops, writing all the words and all the sounds in
    the words. In literacy lessons we obviously focus more on content!
    Putting the 2 together to write interesting, properly constructed
    sentences is proving tricky for some children still. But then....they
    are only 5!!
    To sum up, OP, I think your class sound very normal!