1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erinjunior, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I had an observation today and had an area for development which I would like some advice on.
    After the children had a maths input they went off to do a 'challenge'. All the activities in the room are linked to the objective e.g number bond jigsaw in the making area, playdough number sentences etc.
    However, at the moment when they have completed at least one challenge they can go outside. The question is how do I stop the whole class from going outside!!!!!
    It seemed half my class went outside and didnt spend long enough at the chosen activities inside. So I was wondering what do people do to make sure children access the different activities inside and for long enough For example, carosel sort rota, Ahhhhhhhhhh

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not a KS1 expert (though I have an interview next week where I have to teach Yr), but I would have thought asking children to just complete 1 activity before being allowed outside is a little 'underachievement'. Realistically how long can it take the slowest of children to complete a jigsaw (I'm guessing 20 pieces?)
    Your idea of carousel is a good one with a time limit before moving on.
    I'm sure other people more experienced will be able to help you more. Perhaps my KS2 experience is 'blinding me?'

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Why did you want them to go outside after one short challenge? What did your feedback say? Have to say if I was a kid I would like that method of lesson planning. Was this a wind-up?

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Were you working with focus groups while the others were doing a 'challenge'? What do they do once they are outside? Are there any resources outside focusing on maths? What does the adult outside do? After I do maths input myself and my TA work with focus groups whilst the others use the areas of provision - some have challenges in that they need to do by the end of the week, otherwise its child initiated. Outdoors is open all the time and the adult out there has a maths and an English activity that is done 1-1 over the week.
    What specifically was your area to develop?

5. Sorry was a little unclear in my first post. After input two groups work
    with an adult and one independent. The others acess continous provision but it
    is all linked to the objective of the lesson. Then we obviously rotate the groups
    so they all work with an adult. The question was how to make sure they acess all the different
    areas we have. For example a few of my boys wouldnt touch the making area unless they had to.
    SLT want all children accessing all areas.
    I am not at all worried about their progress so underachieving is not a problem as
    I actually feel I am pushing them too hard. Yes they can, at the moment, go outside after one challenge but will need to complete 3 a day as well as working with an adult in each session.

6. Erinjunior you have some really good ideas! We have just started our year 1 as a unit rather than a class and are struggling to get the children to do specific activities! Is there any chance you could upload some photos of your classroom/different areas? I like the sound buttons idea! x

7. I'm just about to start in year 1 and what you are doing is giving me lots of fab ideas, thank you! :)

8. Erinjunior fantastic ideas! Thank you - I'm due to start in year 1 in september! ;)