1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1? ????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erinjunior, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hi i just wanted a bit of advice really. I am moving to class 1 in
    september and wondered how people plan their usual day
    throughout the year. In september there will be
    transition so we will have literacy or numeracy mornings. But
    is the next step then to move to numeracy and literacy in the
    morning??? The current class 1 have lit numeracy hour and then
    topic afternoons with no continous provision. I am very keen to
    include cont provision next year but i am worried about the quamtity
    of work they need to produce. How much 'work' are children in class
    1 required to produce in a day. Sorry if the questions seem random
    i just have sooo many.
    Thank you in advance

2. Hi,
    I have Literacy in the morning, Numeracy after play, Topic work in the afternoon and Phonics/Guided read last thing. Very similar timetable to any other class, except I will only work with 1 group at a time (as will my TA when she is in) and the rest 'explore' the other 'jobs'.
    If you are nervous about work-production, make sure your continuous provision (and this can include fairly teacher led activiites you have set up on tables) have tasks attached. These could be anything - numeracy resources alongside a challenge (Use 10 cubes. How many different ways can you split it into two parts?), art activities, construction challenges (Make a bridge from Lego that the troll can get across), fairly simple writing tasks attached to your topic (write a healthy shopping list), cutting and sticking etc. You also need an expectation that they will complete so many of these every day. I change the table activities every day (this takes AGES to plan and do at first but you get quicker as you get ideas and get used to the resources) and they do generally all complete all the activities every day (I sometimes check at playtime and keep those in that haven't done any of the tasks).
    In my school there is no expectation of them to produce a certain amount of work, but I found just having construction, sand etc out and letting them get on with it a bit counter productive to a Y1 class. Its just my opinion, and my class, but they have learnt all they are going to learn by simply exploring the sand during their FS years, and now need a little more stimulation and challenge to make those activities worthwhile - otherwise they truly are 'just' playing. I find this the challenge in Year 1 - continuous provision is fine, and children do still need lots of play at that age, but we need to remember we are teachers and do need to teach.

3. Just a little addtion on the point about attaching tasks to different areas of continuous provision. As most can't read istructions, I used the TTS recordable voice cards/arrows to record the challenge I wanted them to do, as well as writing challenges down. I did have to spend a little time explaining how to look after them and use them etc, but they worked well and I could quickly change the challenge. They enjoyed discovering the new challenges and it meant I didn't have to keep repeating myself by explaining it over and over.

4. Thank you for your replies. I am moving from reception to year 1 and
    i use the sound recorders now for cont provision tasks. I am just worried really
    as current year 1 say there is no tine for cont provision in year 1 as they all have to
    Work independently on set task at tables for the lesson. So current class 1 complete 3 peices
    of work a day, 1 with adult 2 independent... If that makes sense??

5. Great ideas about using the voice recorder for tasks, thanks. I am moving to Y1 in September too so your advice about continuous provision is really helpful - the school I am working at the moment has CP up to Y2 and I agree that it needs to be a lot more structured (for many children) as there doesn't appear to be much learning going on from what I've seen!

6. I do agree that it has to be more structured but when do your children actually get time to access it. In Summer term of reception we make it alot more structured e.g cutting and sticking number bond butterfly wings in the maths area, but I am struggling to see how this works in year 1.
    Maybe I am thinking about it too much but cant seem to see the progression at the moment.
    Do people leave out the same provision all day and children have to complete all the activities or two or three etc.
    I guess I am wondering what the teaching sessions will look like e.g Do the children have whole class adult input for the introduction then one group works with the teacher, one with a TA and then the rest choose?????

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

I do whole class introductions to english, maths and topic. At the start of the year they are very short and gradually increase in time as the year goes on.
    For the first term one group works with TA and another with me and the rest use the areas of provision. Each adult led session lasts about 20 mins. From Easter time (or earlier, depending on the class) I introduce an independent group in english and maths (one group with TA, one with me , one working independently and rest using areas of provision) and the children work for slightly longer.
    I tend to have 3 or 4 weekly challenges attached to some areas of provision. The children can do these if they want, but they don't have to. I find that as the year progresses they start to do the challenges more and more. I think child initiated play is still very valuable and important at year 1. I find the children naturally link the play to what ever they have been learning in class. As they mature so do their play and social skills. They may have access to sand etc like in reception but their play is different and at a higher level.

8. Hiya Comenius

Can you give me a few examples of the types of challenges would you set for the children please? I like the idea and will be going into Year 1 in september - am currently an nqt in nursery! Thanks in advance!