1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucye, Nov 1, 2011.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

Hi s7ace, I have been doing this for a couple of years now, with great success. It takes 30-40 mins. On Monday we have talk partner time to share news. Then we model writing someone's news. We build on it through the year eg. Suggesting different ways to start sentences, linking sentences, describing words etc... They draw a picture afterwards. Quite formulaic at the start of the year eg: 'I went....' but develops and gets them all writing quickly.

2. Our Year 1s and Year 2s do this and it's been very successful. Yes, it is a recount (and we don't do it religiously every week) but it has been invaluable for teaching them basic grammar and punctuation, use of more interesting words as time goes on, connectives, joining words and even simple sequencing. Also, an opportunity to practise handwriting.
    It's useful because the children don't have to necessarily think of content - ie it's something they've done - so it frees them up to focus on other skills, not least speaking and listening to their partner.
    I know many teachers think it's a time waster and things have moved on but I disagree. Works in our school/with our children anyway.
    Progression is clearly shown by the end of the year.

3. I agree that writing news is not a time waster in KS1. I am actually doing it with my y4 class every Monday to get them writing. There were less than 20 pieces of writing in their books last year for the entire year!! A different focus each week is a good idea. You can also write your own news to model sentence structure or write it with mistakes in (missing CL etc.) for the children to spot. The children really enjoy sharing their news too.

4. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Why not extend the idea to having a writing journal? That way children can 'free write' whatever inspires them - news, a story, a poem, some sentences ... There is lots of research around that shows this type of personal journal helps create a love of writing - especially when the teacher has one too and writes in it whilst the children do.