1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 - Writing assessment ideas HELP!!

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by lg21, Jan 8, 2009.

1. <table class=" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class="post" class="post">
    Hi

Ive got an assessment week coming up in school and am wondering if anyone has any ideas for a piece of writing to do with my year ones that I can then use to assess with regard to national curriculum levels. It is purely teacher assessed since there are no formal writing assessments in place for this age group.

last time, I spnt a week on the Gingerbread man (acting it out, speaking and listening etc) and then got the chn to re-tell it on paper with picture clues. the results wernt great! but then again it was end of September and they were fresh from reception. In order to get the best out of them I am keen to spend a few days leading up to the piece of writing as opposed to just picking a piece they have done elsewhere in topic for example.

I am able to come off main timetable for this, so any ideas for some production of some great writing would be greatly appreciated!

</td></tr></table>

2. <table class=" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>
    <td class="post" class="post">
    Hi

Ive got an assessment week coming up in school and am wondering if anyone has any ideas for a piece of writing to do with my year ones that I can then use to assess with regard to national curriculum levels. It is purely teacher assessed since there are no formal writing assessments in place for this age group.

last time, I spnt a week on the Gingerbread man (acting it out, speaking and listening etc) and then got the chn to re-tell it on paper with picture clues. the results wernt great! but then again it was end of September and they were fresh from reception. In order to get the best out of them I am keen to spend a few days leading up to the piece of writing as opposed to just picking a piece they have done elsewhere in topic for example.

I am able to come off main timetable for this, so any ideas for some production of some great writing would be greatly appreciated!

</td></tr></table>

3. hello..

yeh i am in the same point now?? not sure where to start, especially as they can't really write alot at the mo... any ideas???

4. hiya,
    I've done Year 1 for 4 years now and this is still a problem. But this year we've got APP in writing so I tried it out this week. We;ve been doing stories with familiar settings as well as going over the ELG. So I did the hungry caterpillar for a week-re-enacting it, sequencing pics and retelling it etc etc....then did shared writing on wboards as a whole class....then for the HA, I asked them to wriote the story-using the sequenced pictures as clues, then the same for MA but with a word mat for support and jotted down who used it, then for the LA I picked just a couple of pics...said the semntence with them and asked them to write it. But had to write down what support I gave if any----whether I sounded out or them....whether they used an alphabet mat or asked me what a letter looked like etc. Anyway....then took the writing away and used APP and the p-scales to assess them. Hope this helps!!!